Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2010 Chevy Equinox Raspy Rattle from the Engine bay

Search this Thread

Old December 31st, 2013, 10:35 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all,

I am having very similar issues with my wife's car. I have not taken it in to the dealer but plan on doing that because the car died this morning when my wife came to a stop. i have sent a pm to the gm rep for some help. thanks in advance for your help.
Old January 5th, 2014, 9:16 PM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

Originally Posted by Hashbrownn
Greetings all, new member here.
I bought a 2010 Equinox for my wife in summer of 2010, and I've always noticed a slight raspy rattle (something like two metal plates vibrating against each other) from the engine bay, and it gets louder as I press down on the accelerator. At first, I thought it was something like the heat shield vibrating. The Equinox has about 37K miles on it. I took it in for an oil change today at Dick Shirley Chevy in Burlington NC, and asked about the raspy rattle that I been hearing. The service adviser told me that it was coming from the injectors and all the Equinox make that sound? I personally think this is BS, and they were trying to get me out of there. Do any of you other Equinox owners hear the same noise I am referring to? Any advice or information would be helpful.

Regards,
Hashbrownn
Just bought the same thing 2010 equinox and having the same problems with noise looking for answers and also thinking about asking about returning the car
Old January 13th, 2014, 8:12 PM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

I also have a 2010 equinox that is having the same issues with the loud raspy noise with the horrible smell. Also had reduced engine power light to come on. Had it put on test and it said throttle sensor. My husband changed out the throttle body, due to my vehicle not being under warranty anymore due to mileage. This fixed the engine light, but I still have the loud raspy noise. Come to find out there is a crack in the manifold. I had work done on this engine before the warranty was out. Now I have these problems. My vehicle also uses alot of oil and was told that was OK by the dealer and to keep an eye on it. I have issues with the Onstar too, sometimes it shows green that it is working and then the next day it is red, showing its not working. Are there recalls on this vehicle? This is by far the worst one I have had.
Old January 14th, 2014, 3:04 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by bigbooly
I bought a 2010 Chevy Equinox 2.4L from the original owner 5 months ago with 96,000 miles on it. I noticed a rattling noise at idle. He said he had complained of the same thing to the dealer and brought it in twice to get it fixed. He showed me the dealer records detailing he had complained twice about this noise, and at 68,000 miles, the dealer finally replaced and timing chain and tensioner. He said the noise was still there, and dealer said that is just the sound the engine makes.

Since I started driving it, I noticed oil consumption but no leaks. The oil consumption appeared to increase, and at my latest oil change at 105,000 miles, the mechanic said he didn't see leaks either and didn't know why the engine was using oil. This week, I was driving, and the rattling noise was noticeably louder. The car has 107,000 miles. It was well below 0 degrees here, and I thought it was just cold weather. The check engine light came on in 5 miles, so I stopped at a Autozone to get a code read. They said the engine was misfiring in one of the pistons. I put fuel injector cleaner and went home to change the spark plugs. The sound did not go away. It now sounds like a diesel engine. I brought it to another mechanic and he said the engine is shot. He thinks the timing chain and the vales are damaged.

My question for Chevy is how could there not be a recall on this engine by now? There are thousands of complaints about this on many forums and the 10,000+ Youtube views of this gentlemen who documented the same rattling sound in his Equinox and 2nd video showing the results of the dealers "fix".

How to I pursue Chevy to get a new engine in this car? Yes the car is out of warranty, but the "fix" the dealer did at 68,000 miles clearly did not fix the problem when they tell the previous owner "that's just the sound the engine makes".
I had such high hopes for this car as I have a 2004 Saturn Vue with the 2.2L engine with 180,000 miles and never any engine problems. I thought my Equniox 2.4L engine would be an improvement, but clearly this engine has structural design flaws, and I'm wondering why Chevy hasn't owned up to their poor engine design with a recall?

Any ideas on how I can approach Chevy and get a solution?

Jeremy
Update (warning) to all,

The dealer was adamant "These engines are not problematic, and there are 100,000s of these engines out there doing just fine". So why then do major engine re-manufacturers (Napa, Jasper) refuse to offer rebuilt 2010 2.4L Equinox engines because they said "we don't want to offer a warranty behind this engine"? Why were so many changes made on the 2011 2.4L Equinox engine that I can't swap in a 2011 Equinox engine in my 2010 Equinox?

The dealer tried to convince me that a lot of the engine problems out there are due to lack of maintenance. He went on to tell me of a Chevy model he owned in the 90's that had many documented problems with the engine but his didn't because he maintained it well. I've rebuilt engines since I was in high school, I know how the maintain and engine, and what a maintained vehicle looks like. My 1986 BMW went to 286,000 mi, my 2000 Honda went to 205,000 mi, my 1996 BMW went to 191,000 mi- and all these were sold to other people who continued to drive them.

The dealer said he would be happy to look at this 3yr old Equinox and perform diagnostics to determine if the cause of failure is the faulty timing chain. I asked, "what are my options if you determine the timing chain failure is not the cause of all the other problems like oil consumption and the car sounding like a diesel engine?" The dealer answered "The diagnostics would be up to $700, and then you can do whatever you want with your car."

So this is GM's grand solution. They have documented problems with this engine, they string people out with "fixes" until their car is out of warranty and keeps having more pronounced problems of the same thing they "fixed", then GM wants you to pay $700 for diagnostics so they can support their dealers who are predetermined to deny there is a problem so you can be on the hook for $1000s of repairs.

Somebody please start a class action suit against GM- I will gladly join, and that will be my last interaction with GM.

Never again GM,
Old January 20th, 2014, 3:59 PM
CF Beginner

We had the same noise and the dealership always said it was nothing...well it cannot be nothing or it would have been there from the beginning.... This weekend the car died and we are being told that the engine needs to be replaced! We really liked this car, but I have had cars 16 yes old that NEVER had the engine die!
Old January 21st, 2014, 1:13 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by bigbooly
Update (warning) to all,

The dealer was adamant "These engines are not problematic, and there are 100,000s of these engines out there doing just fine". So why then do major engine re-manufacturers (Napa, Jasper) refuse to offer rebuilt 2010 2.4L Equinox engines because they said "we don't want to offer a warranty behind this engine"? Why were so many changes made on the 2011 2.4L Equinox engine that I can't swap in a 2011 Equinox engine in my 2010 Equinox?

The dealer tried to convince me that a lot of the engine problems out there are due to lack of maintenance. He went on to tell me of a Chevy model he owned in the 90's that had many documented problems with the engine but his didn't because he maintained it well. I've rebuilt engines since I was in high school, I know how the maintain and engine, and what a maintained vehicle looks like. My 1986 BMW went to 286,000 mi, my 2000 Honda went to 205,000 mi, my 1996 BMW went to 191,000 mi- and all these were sold to other people who continued to drive them.

The dealer said he would be happy to look at this 3yr old Equinox and perform diagnostics to determine if the cause of failure is the faulty timing chain. I asked, "what are my options if you determine the timing chain failure is not the cause of all the other problems like oil consumption and the car sounding like a diesel engine?" The dealer answered "The diagnostics would be up to $700, and then you can do whatever you want with your car."

So this is GM's grand solution. They have documented problems with this engine, they string people out with "fixes" until their car is out of warranty and keeps having more pronounced problems of the same thing they "fixed", then GM wants you to pay $700 for diagnostics so they can support their dealers who are predetermined to deny there is a problem so you can be on the hook for $1000s of repairs.

Somebody please start a class action suit against GM- I will gladly join, and that will be my last interaction with GM.

Never again GM,
Sounds like a broken record, I have had the exact same issues, they fixed the timing chain, but of course tried telling me it was normal sound initially and now I am going through the same issues with oil consumption, ran the test and they confirmed it, now I am looking at $2-3k repair bill if I want it fixed, but who knows, if I fix it what will be next. I'm totally up for class action law suit if you want. I'm guessing we can start putting our vin #s together to start tallying up the total number of people affected and build a case from there. Too bad GM just ignores these posts now.
Old January 31st, 2014, 9:46 AM
CF Beginner

I own a 2010 Chevrolet equinox and have been burning oil since day 1. Our car uses about 1liter every 2000 kilometers. I've never owned a vehicle that uses oil. Dealer said it was within acceptable usage. I've already had fuel pump swapped, Tranny leak, bearing change and now dealer has finally worked on the timing chain since there are rasp sounds. I just hope the engine isn't damaged. My power train warranty is almost over and I'm afraid more problems will show up. I'm thinking of doing a piston pressure Test to hopefully see if anything is messed. I will never be buying another Go that's for sure. I've lost a lot of time bringing vehicle in for repairs.

One time the dealer told me the engine was sweating and this was reason of oil usage. I wanted to laugh.
Old February 2nd, 2014, 9:26 AM
CF Beginner

I would tell GM you want the engine replaced Noe before you are out of warranty. If you don't you could be looking at a $6000 bill. Go to another dealer for an oil consumption test and make sure they actually wipe the dip stick properly. GM will of course try to cover up their issues because they don't want to lose the money. Good luck, I'm currently looking at that $6000 repair to fix mine.
Originally Posted by Velcomrob
I own a 2010 Chevrolet equinox and have been burning oil since day 1. Our car uses about 1liter every 2000 kilometers. I've never owned a vehicle that uses oil. Dealer said it was within acceptable usage. I've already had fuel pump swapped, Tranny leak, bearing change and now dealer has finally worked on the timing chain since there are rasp sounds. I just hope the engine isn't damaged. My power train warranty is almost over and I'm afraid more problems will show up. I'm thinking of doing a piston pressure Test to hopefully see if anything is messed. I will never be buying another Go that's for sure. I've lost a lot of time bringing vehicle in for repairs.

One time the dealer told me the engine was sweating and this was reason of oil usage. I wanted to laugh.
Old February 3rd, 2014, 1:28 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tprice07
I would tell GM you want the engine replaced Noe before you are out of warranty. If you don't you could be looking at a $6000 bill. Go to another dealer for an oil consumption test and make sure they actually wipe the dip stick properly. GM will of course try to cover up their issues because they don't want to lose the money. Good luck, I'm currently looking at that $6000 repair to fix mine.
only problem is they did a test and its within acceptable consumption levels. its also stated in their manuals

they wont change the engine

what exactly do you need to fix on yours?
Old February 5th, 2014, 8:53 AM
CF Beginner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For our 2010 Nox that got fixed under the powertrain warranty, They replaced the Pistons, rings and bearings. Then changed the Exhaust manifold because of a crack in it. Then we kept getting a bad exhaust smell in the truck when were driving, that ended up being a leaky head gasket which was pooling oil in top of the motor. When the motor warmed up it was burning off causing the smell. Gm will not replace the motor, they will only changed the pistons as i stated above.

Quick Reply: 2010 Chevy Equinox Raspy Rattle from the Engine bay