Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2010 Chevy Equinox Raspy Rattle from the Engine bay

Search this Thread

Old July 19th, 2011, 12:15 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Tabbucat & Hasbrownn,

Have either one of you been to any other GM dealership to get a diagnosis? I completely understand your frustrations with your dealers. Would you like to file a formal complaint? If so, please let me know. Tabbucat, have you been in contact with Chevrolet Customer Service directly?

Thank you,
Elizabeth, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old July 19th, 2011, 6:56 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with you guys, I hate this 07 Equinox and will NEVER, EVER have another GM product. Once I settle a lawsuit that I'm in the middle of, this thing will become history.
Old July 20th, 2011, 7:31 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
Tabbucat & Hasbrownn,

Have either one of you been to any other GM dealership to get a diagnosis? I completely understand your frustrations with your dealers. Would you like to file a formal complaint? If so, please let me know. Tabbucat, have you been in contact with Chevrolet Customer Service directly?

Thank you,
Elizabeth, Chevrolet Customer Service
Dear Elizabeth,

Thank you for your effort to try to help us poor souls. You've asked if I have ever taken the car to go get a diagnosis from another GM dealership? the answer is NO. I bought my car from the same dealership that refused to run a diagnosis on the car that they sold me. Why should I assume other dealership would treat me any different? Why should I have to go out of my way and drive 30+ minutes out of town to go get my car diagnosis while it's under warranty? Can you explain that to me? Isn't it obvious that other dealerships are doing the same thing to people? I'm not the only one with this problem as you can see. Do I want to file a formal complaint? NO. I'd just rather not do any business with GM and cut my losses. I wish GM would learn that it's not about making cars, but the customer service is more important to get repeat customers. It seemed to me that they don't care much in that department after they've already sold the car and made their money. I will always convince people I know to stay away from GM vehicles, and I will never purchase any other GM for my family members.
Old July 27th, 2011, 3:43 PM
CF Beginner

I am having the same issue with my 2010 equinox. The engine knocks and rattles and idles horribly. I have to pick it up from the dealer now. They say that my problem is that the car was two and a half quarts low on oil. My reply was, "Why is it burning oil?" They seem to be blaming it on the fact that maybe I am not changing my oil enough. Of course my fault even though the knocking has occured from day one. NOw after 25,000 miles the oil problem is in addition to the knocking. But they are unresponsive as usual, so I will once again pick up my car and wait for the next incident.
Old July 28th, 2011, 8:50 PM
CF Beginner

So I took my Nox into the dealer to diagnose the rattle in the engine and with my luck I get the service tech with a hearing aid and he can not hear anything i'm talking about( i hear it! ). So with a smile and a handshake they tell me that there is nothing wrong and sent me on my way. But they did book another appointment for the loose parts in the tail gate. Sounds like the game plinko from the prices right when you open the hatch. Oh brother what a head ache!
Old November 2nd, 2011, 7:28 PM
KDB
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

I too have engine noise from my 2010 Equinox. I traded 2004 Kia for this vehicle. I bought this vehicle in April 2011 and now have 16,300 miles on it. . This noise that comes from this engine ridiculous. I had no engine noise from my KIA after putting over 170,000 miles on it. I have had the Equinox serviced regularly. The dealership keeps telling us the noise it common for this type of vehicle. I find this hard to believe. I am now stuck with a vehicle I am not sure I like. I can't get past the noise and it is getting louder. I would not recommond this vehicle to anyone. Furthermore I wish I would have went with another KIA.

fficeffice" /><O></O>
<O></O>
Old November 3rd, 2011, 8:33 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> KDB,
Would you send me your name and VIN number, I will do my best to research this and see if I can get this issue figured out for you.
Breanne
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old November 4th, 2011, 8:39 AM
CF Beginner

I had this problem I guess my dealership is more thorough they found loose timing chain (they said they had problem with some from supplier) and exhaust cam sensor needed to be replaced. After it was done all is well.
Old November 5th, 2011, 5:01 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by KDB
I too have engine noise from my 2010 Equinox. I traded 2004 Kia for this vehicle. I bought this vehicle in April 2011 and now have 16,300 miles on it. . This noise that comes from this engine ridiculous. I had no engine noise from my KIA after putting over 170,000 miles on it. I have had the Equinox serviced regularly. The dealership keeps telling us the noise it common for this type of vehicle. I find this hard to believe. I am now stuck with a vehicle I am not sure I like. I can't get past the noise and it is getting louder. I would not recommond this vehicle to anyone. Furthermore I wish I would have went with another KIA.

fficeffice" /><O></O>
<O></O>

Ask them to reprogram the module. Thats what did it for mine, noise gone and fuel economy got better. We only drive in town, and the dash is telling me 9.4 L/100k. It used to tell me high 10's. I never reset the units so i can keep a running tab on it.

Last edited by von_dutchy; November 5th, 2011 at 5:06 AM.
Old November 6th, 2011, 6:31 AM
CF Beginner

I've heard all the same responses from the dealer. It's the injectors....not enough oil... Zso on and so on. I'm now burning a quart/1000 miles. Rattle like crazy and idles terribly. They put dye in the oil to see where it's going??? It's all bs. Bad engine design and gms response is that there is an "allowable oil Consumption rate" of 1qt/2000 miles. There say of saying not their problem. My last gm ever

Quick Reply: 2010 Chevy Equinox Raspy Rattle from the Engine bay