Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2010 Chevy Equinox Raspy Rattle from the Engine bay

Search this Thread

Old November 6th, 2011, 12:33 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pkerryk
I've heard all the same responses from the dealer. It's the injectors....not enough oil... Zso on and so on. I'm now burning a quart/1000 miles. Rattle like crazy and idles terribly. They put dye in the oil to see where it's going??? It's all bs. Bad engine design and gms response is that there is an "allowable oil Consumption rate" of 1qt/2000 miles. There say of saying not their problem. My last gm ever
pkerryk.

whats your general location? Are you in canada (ontario)
Old February 7th, 2012, 10:30 AM
JDN
CF Beginner

Angry 2010 Equinox Noisy Rattle Sound

I have the very same problem and am so fed up at this point! I'm constantly taking this damn car back to the Dealership and the last time they told me that these vehicles require a 3 month oil change opposed to the 3,000 miles. BS. I just got an oil change and the noise is still there. This vehicle is a lemon period! The sad thing is that I took on this vehicle because I was trapped to do so. Two years ago, the dealership totalled out my 3 year old Buick SUV that had only 19,000 miles on it, and 2 years left of payments. I was using their rental car and only had a total of 5 days with it. I was stuck! I'm so disappointed with everything. I would have been done paying off my Buick and instead I'm stuck with more payments with this rattling piece of crap! I'm going to write a long letter to the Corporate office telling them how upset I am with the service and everything else I got dealt.
Old February 7th, 2012, 5:07 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> JDN,

I'm sorry to hear of your frustration with your Equinox. I would like to look into this issue for you further. Could you please PM me your vehicle VIN number and a description of the problem you are having with your vehicle.

I look forward to your reply.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old February 8th, 2012, 7:37 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by JDN
I have the very same problem and am so fed up at this point! I'm constantly taking this damn car back to the Dealership and the last time they told me that these vehicles require a 3 month oil change opposed to the 3,000 miles. BS. I just got an oil change and the noise is still there. This vehicle is a lemon period! The sad thing is that I took on this vehicle because I was trapped to do so. Two years ago, the dealership totalled out my 3 year old Buick SUV that had only 19,000 miles on it, and 2 years left of payments. I was using their rental car and only had a total of 5 days with it. I was stuck! I'm so disappointed with everything. I would have been done paying off my Buick and instead I'm stuck with more payments with this rattling piece of crap! I'm going to write a long letter to the Corporate office telling them how upset I am with the service and everything else I got dealt.

JDN> I had the same issue and every time i talked to a tech they looked at me like I was crazyyyy. But I did find one that took a few extra min to look into it deeper and he reprogrammed the module. Have not had a problem since. The fuel economy has gotten better. We drive about 90% in town with no highway and we are getting about 9.6 l per 100 klm. Thats real close to the sticker that came on it when we bought it. Go back to the dealer and as them to update the program on the module and see how that works.

Cheers

Von
Old February 9th, 2012, 11:33 AM
CF Beginner

Not only did car make noise it was burning oil. So I would keep an eye on that. I took my car to the dealer every 1000 miles to have it checked I was losing over a quart each time. They found it not to be leaking so they replaced the engine. So far no more issues. Runs great.
Old February 16th, 2012, 11:32 AM
CF Beginner

My '11 Equinox is rattling as well. When I went to get my oil changed last time, the tech commented on the rattle and also said my engine seems to be burning oil as it was a quart low and there wasn't a leak.

I've had various other issues- axle on driver side leaking, sometimes I get a message that there is "reduced power" and everything in the interior dims, and my stabilli-trak will intermittently say it needs to be serviced (then goes away.)

I'm taking it to the dealership tomorrow to have them do a thorough walk through-- I didn't buy a new car for this!
Old February 16th, 2012, 4:35 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> gotjulie,

I'm sorry to hear of the frustration with your Equinox. I hope the dealership technicians are able to resolve the problems.

Please keep us updated.

If you have additional questions, please feel free to contact me.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old February 17th, 2012, 12:32 PM
CF Beginner

Just dropped off my car. The dealership is charging me $187.50 to look at the darn problems! $62.50 just to diagnose a "stabillitrak" and "reduced engine power" lights. Wow. I guess this is why it's called a "stealership"
Old March 6th, 2012, 8:22 AM
CF Beginner

Never been treated badly by a Chevy dealership in 35 years of buying Corvettes, Camaro's, Chevy Van's..and YES my 2011 Equinox which I love..and makes some noises just like any other MACHINE!
Good luck with your foreign made MACHINE, you will certainly find something that bother's you..It's sounds like it is in your nature.
BYE BYE.
Old April 2nd, 2012, 9:16 PM
CF Beginner

Bought our 2010 Equinox in mid-December 2011 and and not even 4 months and 6,000 miles later we have gone through 5 quarts of oil. Car just crossed 30,000 miles today. Yesterday the check engine light came on and the engine was tapping very loudly - louder than the normal annoying tap. After checking the oil, NONE showed on the dipstick. This is real bad. I will be taking it in for service tomorrow and will keep this thread updated. I'm sure hoping I'm not in for a long term battle with my dealer to get this fixed right. By what I've read all over the internet, it seems I probably am. Very disappointed.

Quick Reply: 2010 Chevy Equinox Raspy Rattle from the Engine bay