Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2010 Chevy Equinox Raspy Rattle from the Engine bay

Search this Thread

Old October 3rd, 2012, 3:27 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 Chevy Equinox engine problems

My wife’s Equinox was towed a couple of days ago to the local Chevy dealership when the car just stopped. Prior to that, we had to put 1 to 2 quarts of oil before the recommended intervals. This would happen often to include a rattling noise coming from the engine compartment. I noticed that there are many posts with 2010 Chevy Equinox having this same engine problem. Does anyone know of a recall or a class action suit? can anyone help? This is very frustrating and I'm afraid that this is going to cost us a lot of money. this was also posted in Edmunds Townhall
I just received a call from our Dealership. I AM VERY HAPPY. They are taking care of the problem. (Larry Puckett Chevrolet in Prattville, AL)

Last edited by rauldevo; October 4th, 2012 at 9:47 AM. Reason: Update
Old October 5th, 2012, 12:52 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

rauldevo,

If we can check into this further with you (look for recall or warranty information for you or check in on things with your dealership), please either email or private message us with more details, including your name, contact information, and the last 8 of your VIN.

Sarah (Assisting Louis), Chevrolet Customer Service
Old October 6th, 2012, 4:20 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by eventsman
So far so good, one week of running with the new engine and all is well.
I'm having same issue. At about 80,000 miles. No warranty either....how much did it cost you to replace the engine?
Old October 7th, 2012, 7:01 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by ckenn4
I'm having same issue. At about 80,000 miles. No warranty either....how much did it cost you to replace the engine?
The engine was covered under the powertrain 5 year 100,000 mile warranty. No cost.
Old October 7th, 2012, 10:40 AM
CF Beginner

The engine is being replaced at no cost. Powertrain warranty is covering the cost. The vehicle has 64,000 molest on it.

Last edited by rauldevo; October 7th, 2012 at 12:08 PM.
Old December 1st, 2012, 10:55 PM
CF Beginner

Traded in our 2010 Equinox for a 2013 CR-V EX-L today.

I come from a long line of loyal Chevrolet/GM customers and have never owned anything myself that wasn't a Chevy, but the way this case was handled by the dealer and the GM Customer Service for the last 6 months was unacceptable.

Like so many other have written all over the internet in regards to this issue, I was constantly treated like I was an idiot every time I tried to get the problem taken care of - especially by dealer. With so many other things going on in day-to-day life, I just could no longer be bothered to fight a pointless battle on a car that first started burning oil rapidly right after the 30,000 mile mark.

The car was burning a quart of oil every 1,000 miles because I was constantly checking it and adding a quart, but the dealer just flat out lied to me and told me it wasn't. So to prove it to myself instead of believing maybe I was crazy, I finally stopped doing the consumption test and drove the car for exactly 5,000 miles without adding oil...sure enough the check engine comes on around 4,000 miles, we take it to a Mr. Good Lube that isn't going to lie to cover their asses, they drain the oil and their is less than a quart in the crankcase. So a car is just going to burn an entire load of oil over 5,000 and this is supposedly normal?

The oil engine isn't the only problems I've had with this car either. The FM/Am radio reception was always terrible - which isn't the case with the new CR-V and the headliner was sagging about 2" minimum and of course, I was told that was normal too. I guess a poor product is just the new "normal" standard for GM.

Just a F- for GM, Chevy and the way they treat their customers, new or loyal. They lost a customer for good. No more GM. EVER.

I can't wait until I publish a negative review on dealerrater.com regarding my dealer and their General Manager contacts me within 24 hours begging me to remove it. No thanks, I think its fair everyone knows how lousy this car is and how lousy the service was.

Good riddance and thanks for nothing.

Last edited by brad5879; December 1st, 2012 at 11:00 PM.
Old December 18th, 2012, 1:26 PM
CF Beginner

Default Nothing but problems

I bought my 2010 Equinox used in July 2012 and have had nothing but issues, it rattles so bad when you push the gas its embarrsing to drive. I have taken it in and they replaced the cam shaft, timeing chain and a silinoid and a month later its back to making the same noises. The fuel mileage is worse than ever and the dealership is a joke. I don't like the one thats close to me they don't even take the time to wash it before they give it back. At this point I just want to sell it and get anything but a Chevy.. So sad that I have had chevy's in the driveway most of my life but not again, if this is the customer service they provide its not worth it. Looks like we will be back at the dealership again and they better not tell me its normal I would like to see them drive around with that nosie.
Old December 19th, 2012, 11:37 AM
Official GM Rep

Originally Posted by cthomas79
I bought my 2010 Equinox used in July 2012 and have had nothing but issues, it rattles so bad when you push the gas its embarrsing to drive. I have taken it in and they replaced the cam shaft, timeing chain and a silinoid and a month later its back to making the same noises. The fuel mileage is worse than ever and the dealership is a joke. I don't like the one thats close to me they don't even take the time to wash it before they give it back. At this point I just want to sell it and get anything but a Chevy.. So sad that I have had chevy's in the driveway most of my life but not again, if this is the customer service they provide its not worth it. Looks like we will be back at the dealership again and they better not tell me its normal I would like to see them drive around with that nosie.
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> cthomas79,

I’m sorry you are experiencing these issues with your Equinox vehicle. Have you contacted Customer Service regarding these issues? If you have, would you please provide you case number so I can look into this further for you?

If you have not, I would like to create a case for you. In order to proceed, please PM me the following information: your full name, address, phone number, vehicle mileage, VIN and the name and city of your dealer.

I look forward to your reply.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old December 19th, 2012, 1:53 PM
CF Beginner

Default engine rattle on startup

is there a fix for 2010 equinox engine rattle yet? i just had the steering gear replaced, it seems to be fixed now.
Old December 21st, 2012, 9:45 AM
Official GM Rep

Originally Posted by itascasunova
is there a fix for 2010 equinox engine rattle yet? i just had the steering gear replaced, it seems to be fixed now.
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <oocumentProperties> <o:Author>Joy Hotchkiss</o:Author> <o:Version>11.9999</o:Version> </oocumentProperties> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> itascasunova,

This may be related to an issue with the water pump / balance shaft chain and tensioner. I recommend consulting with a certified technician for an official diagnosis and repair option(s).

Please keep us posted.

If you have additional questions, please feel free to contact me privately.

Louis
GM Customer Service

Quick Reply: 2010 Chevy Equinox Raspy Rattle from the Engine bay