Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2010 Equinox frequent error codes P0172 System too rich and also Service Stabilitrack

Search this Thread

Old June 23rd, 2017, 11:21 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeelandToe
I've had the fuel in the oil problem on my 2010 LT FWD twice and replaced the HPFP mounted on the engine. It fixed the issue the first time (I had scavenged one from a wreckers) and the second time I replaced it with a new one. That seemed to fix it for good in that regard as I've put 15000 miles on it since. The recall notice came out a few months after and boy was I peeved...
Did yours also pass the fuel pump pressure test like mine did though? Did you have any codes related to the cat. converter like i'm now having? Curious
Old June 23rd, 2017, 11:36 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was having a P0172 but replaced my cam positioning sensor, as well as the timing chain and guides (because these motors burn all the oil in them and say you have 87% oil life left - great gag) and that fixed the running rich. I didn't have the new pump tested as it just worked after I put it in. I have O2 sensor codes which don't seem to be related as they happened much later. Unfortunately around that same time the vehicle developed a new trick of just shutting off while driving, or idling, and then not starting, and then randomly starting.
Old December 8th, 2020, 6:51 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by markm75
update: the dealer decided to check the plugs and try some coil swaps..

They said i'm using something other than AC Delco and thats why i may be having issues (from other shops around with good knowledge i dont think this is the case, plus i had these issues prior to having the plugs changed).
They said they found fuel in the oil.

They tried swapping coils, no luck (not adding new ones in the mix but trying the others).. now i have 2,3,4 misfiring apparently.

Back to the drawing board
I would HIGHLY suggest pulling the intake manifold and cleaning the PCV holes inside the intake manifold that help the valves to breath also, but the high pressure fuel pump is the culprit for the fuel in the oil.
if you have anymore questions please feel free to ask, I have recently purchased a used 2011 Chevy equinox and knowing the problems that came with it, I have replaced MULTIPLE factory defects, I only did so because I purchased it at a great price and very low mileage, and I DO NOT want to work on it for the ready of the time I own it, lol.
people think I'm crazy but it runs better than when it was new, minus the vapor canister vent valve that just failed, lol, I knew it needed to be changed before it failed but I didn't feel like crawling under the vehicle anymore unless I just had to.
Old December 25th, 2020, 9:21 PM
CF Active Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

P0172 or P0175

Allow the engine to reach operating temperature. With the engine running, observe the affected Long Term FT parameter with a scan tool. The value should be more than approximately -20 % with the engine running at operating temperature.
  • If the value is not more than -20 %, inspect for the following:
  • With the engine idling and the transmission in the Park or Neutral position, observe the manifold absolute pressure (MAP) sensor parameter. The MAP sensor parameter should be between 19-42 kPa.
    • Refer to DTC P0106 (LF1) if the MAP sensor parameter is not between 19-42 kPa.
  • With the engine idling, observe the mass air flow (MAF) sensor parameter. The MAF sensor parameter should be within 2-6 g/s at idle.
    • Refer to DTC P0101 or DTC P0102 or P0103 if the MAF sensor parameter is not within 2-6 g/s at idle.
  • Vacuum hoses for splits, kinks, and improper connections
  • The air intake duct for being collapsed or restricted
  • The air filter for being dirty or restricted
  • Objects blocking the throttle body
  • Excessive fuel in the crankcase due to leaking fuel injectors
  • The evaporative emissions control system for improper operation
  • Excessive fuel pressure-Refer to Fuel System Diagnosis .
  • Malfunctioning fuel injectors-Refer to Fuel Injector Solenoid Coil Test .
  • Fuel contamination-Refer to Alcohol/Contaminants-in-Fuel Diagnosis for gasoline or Fuel Composition Diagnosis for E85.
  • The HO2S for improper installation and for electrical wires or connectors that may have contacted the exhaust system
  • The HO2S signal circuit shorted to voltage