Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2011 Equinox Chain Failure

Search this Thread

Old July 12th, 2014, 3:04 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Adyre
Got the car back Friday. Fixed. Many parts replaced. The dealership didn't charge anything for the work. They did recommend I have it towed to the nearest dealership next time. They were nice about the tow to my regular dealership (which was 11 miles from where it malfunctioned) but said they will probably only cover $100 of it since the closest dealer was actually two miles from where it stopped. I'm good with that. They made good on their warranty and thats all that matters.

Bottom line is if your car sounds funny on idle take it the nearest dealership and dont be afraid if its under 100000 miles. It may the chain about wreak havok.
Hey Adyre,

I'm happy to hear that your vehicle is repaired and back to performing like it should for you. Sounds like the dealership did a great job! Please don't hesitate to reach back out to us if you have any concerns or questions.

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old April 28th, 2016, 10:50 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 Equinox chain failure

Its funny that now its out of warranty 113000 miles it is failing? I am sure GM knows the issue?

I don't have an extended warranty? I need GM to cover this should have been a recall. since the plastic parts are known to fail?
Old December 28th, 2017, 7:43 AM
CF Beginner

If this is a known problem, why is there not a recall? Does chevy not have a fix other than you need to get your timing chain fixed every 25,000 miles. We have a 2011 Chevy Equinox with 117,000 miles and the timing chain broke and destroyed the engine. I love Chevy and was looking a purchasing a new chevy this year. We have had great luck with them, except this problem. GM is telling me that the car is out of warranty and nothing they can do about this known problem....
Old May 30th, 2019, 12:20 PM
CF Beginner

Default Disappointed in GMC

the same thing happened to me 2 days ago. stalled while I was idling, wouldn't start. Had it towed to my service station. He called and said it was the timing chain and it was not a cheap or cost effective fix. Basically switch out engines. Taled to the dealer and then Chevy. Both said sorry but can't help you. Very confused as to why a company won't stand by their product and fix what was obviously a horrible design. Won't ever buy a GM vehicle again.