Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2011 Equinox IS JUNK!!!

Search this Thread

Old June 8th, 2018, 7:37 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 2011 Equinox IS JUNK!!!

I used to own a 2007 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer addition. Transmission went out TWICE. So I thought to myself; self, you will NEVER own another Ford in your life! I went out in May of 2017, found a 2011 Chevy Equinox with 98,xxx on it. I bought it. Well, financed it seeming how I'm a single mother trying to find a reliable vehicle to drive my child around in. 1st thing I noticed with this vehicle was the oil consumption. I need to change the oil in it every 2500-3000 miles. Synthetic oil is made to get me to 5000 miles, right? That's what they told me anyway...then I'm having to turn right back around and get my oil changed at that 2500-3000 mark because it LOST 2 quarts of oil?! WHAT?! Took it to the dealer and they said that my oil light was on because I had a picture of my son covering it... I took the picture down that same day, and yet my oil light still has never come on!?!?! Thinking they took the bulb out, because apparently that is what they're known for; didn't know that until AFTER I bought my car from them... Fast forward to last night. Leaving my parents' house, get in my car, and MY CAR WON'T START. It would just grind. Had someone look at it, and it's the timing chain!!! WASN'T THAT RECALLED???? Will that be fixed under GM? Or should I just let the dang bank take this car and get a new one?!!! OVER IT!!!!!!!!!!
Old June 8th, 2018, 8:25 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

I agree, they are junk.

At this point call the dealer, maybe more than one. Provide the vin and see if they have any extended warranty coverage for oil consumption and/or the timing chain. Gm customer service on this site may be able to look into this for you.

Last edited by tech2; June 8th, 2018 at 8:27 AM.
Old June 8th, 2018, 8:48 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by ihatemychevy
I used to own a 2007 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer addition. Transmission went out TWICE. So I thought to myself; self, you will NEVER own another Ford in your life! I went out in May of 2017, found a 2011 Chevy Equinox with 98,xxx on it. I bought it. Well, financed it seeming how I'm a single mother trying to find a reliable vehicle to drive my child around in. 1st thing I noticed with this vehicle was the oil consumption. I need to change the oil in it every 2500-3000 miles. Synthetic oil is made to get me to 5000 miles, right? That's what they told me anyway...then I'm having to turn right back around and get my oil changed at that 2500-3000 mark because it LOST 2 quarts of oil?! WHAT?! Took it to the dealer and they said that my oil light was on because I had a picture of my son covering it... I took the picture down that same day, and yet my oil light still has never come on!?!?! Thinking they took the bulb out, because apparently that is what they're known for; didn't know that until AFTER I bought my car from them... Fast forward to last night. Leaving my parents' house, get in my car, and MY CAR WON'T START. It would just grind. Had someone look at it, and it's the timing chain!!! WASN'T THAT RECALLED???? Will that be fixed under GM? Or should I just let the dang bank take this car and get a new one?!!! OVER IT!!!!!!!!!!
The 2.4 liter motor in your Equinox is noted for excessive oil consumption. Changing to full synthetic oil wont change that since its a piston and piston ring issue.

Yes, synthetic motor oil can easily go to 5000 miles or more, but if a defect is inherent, it wont repair itself. Not sure how anyone could look over your vehicle and decide its the timing chain, but the best bet is to go to another dealer and see if they will repair it on warranty or use the "lemon laws" that are on the books.

BTW, I recall Ford telling owners that a motor using a quart of motor oil every 1000 miles was considered "normal", even in a new vehicle. That is completely unacceptable in this day and age. That kind of oil use will destroy a catalytic converter in a short amount of time, and those run $900 dollars minimum.

In my book, if an engine uses half a quart of motor oil between oil changes, its time to dump it. I had a 97 Chevy C-1500 with 309,000 miles on it when I sold it, and it ran great, using only half a quart between oil changes, but that was a 5.7 liter (350 cubic inch) engine, not the 2.4 liter motor that you are dealing with currently.
Old June 19th, 2018, 9:53 AM
CF Beginner

OMG I am totally in the same situation with my 2008 Equinox. Eating oil by the quart and every few weeks, I use synthetic too!! I am soooo disapointed in Chevrolet!! This is my THIRD car with timing chain going bad!!! I am a GM girl my whole life. You are probably still covered under warranty to get it fixed or they may pay a portion of the total repair costs. If you havent done it yet call GM and they will tell you if it had recallls etc. Good luck girl!!
Old July 12th, 2018, 10:35 AM
CF Beginner

Unhappy

Originally Posted by ihatemychevy
UPDATE: So, I got my vehicle over to the dealership. They looked at it and confirmed it was the timing chain. They called it in for a warranty and got it approved (June 12th is when it was taken over there). They made many excuses as to why my car wasn't done (still there a month later!!) and they FINALLY got me into a rental at no charge to me. 2 weeks ago I called (because that's the only way I hear from them) and they let me know that the timing chain did damage to the engine head...They're supposed to have it done today. But the date they gave me has been changed 3 times already... So over this.
Old July 12th, 2018, 10:12 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

Don't be a bean counter and complain over the time it takes. Its a big job and it takes time to tear it down and find all the damage. These vvt engines with AWD drivetrains are hard to do quickly...Its not like rebuilding an old 350. The shop has to balance all the previous appointments in addition. they are covering everything which I applaud gm for. What happened to you was worse case and they fixed it all for free...best case. Sell it and buy another brand.

Last edited by tech2; July 12th, 2018 at 10:14 PM.