Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2012 chevy equinox oil leak looks to be near rear main seal

Search this Thread

Old October 3rd, 2018, 4:23 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 chevy equinox oil leak looks to be near rear main seal

good afternoon all
i am sure that there are no shortage of equinox owners that have had an issue with the rear oil seal being blown out due to pcv system issues. i was just wondering , as my daughter in-law has a 2012 equinox with the infamous 2.4l eco with an ongoing and seemingly worsening leak that seems to be from the rear main, does anyone know, short of separating the engine from transmission, how to verify whether it is coming from there for sure. yes she has contacted the dealer and told that 1 it will cost her 150.00 for diagnosis of leak and 2 that her vin is not on the list that has issues with the pcv system causing rear main blow out (tsb 14882)
any info would be appreciated
thanks
Old October 3rd, 2018, 10:30 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by bulldogtt
good afternoon all
i am sure that there are no shortage of equinox owners that have had an issue with the rear oil seal being blown out due to pcv system issues. i was just wondering , as my daughter in-law has a 2012 equinox with the infamous 2.4l eco with an ongoing and seemingly worsening leak that seems to be from the rear main, does anyone know, short of separating the engine from transmission, how to verify whether it is coming from there for sure. yes she has contacted the dealer and told that 1 it will cost her 150.00 for diagnosis of leak and 2 that her vin is not on the list that has issues with the pcv system causing rear main blow out (tsb 14882)
any info would be appreciated
thanks
Once engine oil gets dirty, shouldn't be any questions about where the leak is at. Lots of manuals tyranny's come with red ATF fluid, as do the automatics.

Put the VIN number here : https://vinrcl.safercar.gov/vin/

Old October 4th, 2018, 7:26 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good day oil can henry
i think my issue with this vehicle is actually the engine i was asking if anyone knows an easier way to specifically diagnose the rear main as we all know the work involved. i found out yesterday through talking with her that the intake vvt solenoid was replaced recently also. i am trying to help out without knowing the full story which im finding out is the worst. anyways the 2.4 eco years 2010 to 2014 according to the tsb14882 had a pcv system flaw that would allow freezing in the system and over pressure the system and in most cases blow out the rear main seal. i have looked all around the rocker cover as gravity is usually the first cause when you find a leak. there are no leaks from the top. the worst part is that the engine only has a little over 100,000 kms. it is the private taxi for my grandsons lol and is driven easy. for instance we finally after buying the vehicle have had to replace the brakes. anyways off topic sorry so i guess i just need to find out if there is a way to access the space between the engine and transmission to see the leak. any help anyone has would be appreciated. my daughter in law did call the dealer up here in ontario and she was told that her vin isnt on the list which i am finding out is the norm. i guess gm assumes that certain 2.4l with the same pcv system are going to have a different outcome than the ones they have already had to admit there is a problem with. i am 85 - 90 percent sure the rear main is leaking and i am positive that if left untouched she will be out of a vehicle as the damage can only get worse. cheers to all