Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2012 Equinox transmission problems?

Search this Thread

Old May 25th, 2016, 7:37 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have been a loyal GM car owner my entire life and I'm 54, but that will change. Own a 2010 Equinox with 70,000 miles. Brand new engine this last February when the car had 67,000 miles and today the transmission went out 70 miles from home. New timing chain at 45,000 miles. Rust on the inside bottom of each door. I'm done with GM. Also, the local chevy dealer wanted $6,500 with 12 month.12,000 warranty to repair the engine back in February. I took the car to a independent repair shop which put a brand new GM engine with 3 year/100,000 mile warranty for $4,039. I'm sick of poor service and crappy vehicles. Sorry had to vent.
Old August 1st, 2016, 12:09 PM
CF Beginner

Default its the trans

Thanks to everyone for their posts. I too am having problems with thetransmission on my 2012 v6 AWD Equinox.Same symptoms as others:hardshifting when fluctuating speeds between 15 & 40 mph in heavy trafficresulting in the ghost rear-end feeling, high RPMs when using reverse, and recentlya faint rattling.
I too got the “party line” from my Chevy dealer that theywere not able to reproduce it and it is operating normally. I even paid to have them drop the pan andcheck the oil.
I played nice until the girl behind the counter, implied inthe sweetest way possible, that maybe I did not know how to drive the car. I told her I am in my mid-50s, grew up onChevys and have owned, at one point in my life, a car from every American andmost Japanese automakers.Maybe thatbehavior is “normal” for a poorly engineered transmission, but it is not normalfor all of the cars I have owned.Iremained courteous and smiled back knowing that her job requires her toregularly drink the Kool-Aid.
I’ve got 12k miles left on my warranty. Hopefully it dies before then so it is ontheir dime, but many of you have made me nervous that triggers a new suite ofproblems.If not, I like the onesolution somebody had:Ford Edge.Partially because I miss my 2005 Ford Escapethat is still running and shifting smooth with a 150k miles.
Until then, I’m going back to my local mechanic. At least I know I can trust him…. and hedoesn’t insult me with a smile.
Old August 30th, 2016, 5:28 PM
CF Beginner

I am experiencing a couple of problems. When I am slowing down, at about 30 mph it hesitates then shifts down hard. It feels like you were rear ended by another car.. When accelerating, especially up hills, trans feels like it is disengaging then it shifts in hard. I will be going up hills at 65mph, pressing on the accelerator harder and harder.
IM HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM CAN SOMEONE HELP OUT?
Old September 27th, 2016, 7:52 AM
CF Beginner

Default Transmission failure

2011 Equinox with under 40K miles. 3-5-R Wave Plate disintegrates and takes out the transmission. Took it to the Chevy Dealer that I bought it from. Told me it would take $125 to tell me what's wrong with the transmission. Said OK. Got a phone call 2 days later saying my transmission was bad. Hmmmmm. I knew that. So what went or was wrong with it? The told me it would cost me another $800+ to take the transmission out and tell me what was wrong with it, and what it would take dollar wise to fix. Ha Ha Ha. Told them I would pick it up. Their paperwork specifically states "possibly 3-5-R Wave Plate failure". Doing Research, I found that this wave plate problem has been plaguing GM since 2004, and there is not a class action started yet. I called the dealer back, and spoke to a CSR, who said there may or may not be anything that they could do for me, and they wouldn't know if they could until after I have them tear apart and fix the transmission. That was not going to happen. I towed the vehicle to a transmission shop, and had the transmission rebuilt for $3000. Told my wife we're selling the Equinox, and probably leasing a new vehicle. Probably won't be a GM, and certainly wont be from Paddock Chevrolet.
Old January 10th, 2017, 8:47 AM
CF Beginner

I drove a '96 Ford Explorer since I was 16 and it was a great vehicle. I was sad to give it up, but when I got a job nearly an hour away, I decided that I needed a newer, more reliable vehicle. I purchased my 2012 Equinox (4cyl LS) in Dec 2014 and have had a multitude of problems since purchasing, including the hard shifts and hesitation described in this chain. I purchased it as a Certified pre-owned vehicle with a warranty, nice Michelin tires with good tread, and a perfect score in its 72-point inspection. It felt like a no-brainer. However, this car has been nothing short of a headache for me, as well as a safety hazard. I've been caught in an intersection trying to turn left and my car refused to move any faster than 5pmh even when I was pressing hard on the accelerator, causing another car to almost hit me. I've been stranded hours away from home because of my engine burning oil (leaving almost zilch for the engine to run on, even after a recent oil change, and NO oil pressure warning light in sight) causing my car to not start. I had previously taken it to the dealership with a complaint about the rapid oil consumption and transmission issues. They said nothing was wrong with the vehicle, but after this incident I was certain something was. I took it back to the dealership and they apologized for not finding the oil pressure problem sooner and did a complete engine rebuild (thank god it was still under warranty, but barely). I still have transmission issues. I do not trust this car and never feel 100% confident while driving it. I miss my Ford and will probably never buy Chevy again, nor will I recommend it to anyone.
Old February 14th, 2018, 2:32 AM
CF Beginner

Unhappy Transmission problems!

The transmission doesn't shift like it normally does. It will kick into the next gear when the RPM's are redlining. It downshifts hard and the ECO indicator flashes on and off randomly. The instrument panel goes bonkers and acts like the car was shut off or something. Any ideas of what that could be? Will the warranty cover that? Or should I take it to a third party?