Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2012 LT heater issue

Search this Thread

Old April 13th, 2019, 3:29 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 LT heater issue

Hi. I have a 2012 3.0L Equinox with about 116K KMS
on it. Within the first two years from new, the heater wouldn't put out any heat (temp guage up to normal) on a couple of random ocassions. After shutting it off and restarting, it imediately started to work. Fast forward until about 2 weeks ago, everything had been fine, now suddenly it's started doing it again, this time on an almost daily basis. Spoke to the Dealership, and they want to bring it in to do diagnostics on it. Problem is that it's 1 hour drive there and hard to get to them during their hours, when you work all day. Has anyone has this issue / found a fix? If it was a quick fix, I'd do it myself, if not, it's under warranty, so I'll take it to them. It almost seems like there's a flap/gate not getting the message to open, or sticking. Anyhow, any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old April 14th, 2019, 3:31 PM
Super Moderator

Received 612 Likes on 553 Posts

There's a motor that controls the temperature door. The position is determined by voltage. Find it, test the motor, make sure the flap moves freely. Unfortunately I don't know where to find it on your vehicle.
Old April 14th, 2019, 3:35 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe
There's a motor that controls the temperature door. The position is determined by voltage. Find it, test the motor, make sure the flap moves freely. Unfortunately I don't know where to find it on your vehicle.
Thanks for the reply. I have located the motor ( actuator for the blend door ) and according to what I have found out, it appears that this is something that 'wears out' after 6 or more years, ( usually the teeth on the main cog ) and needs to be replaced. To that end I have tracked one down and will be replacing it soon. Thanks again for taking the time to help. Much appreciated.