Notices
Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2013 ecotec pcv

Old April 14th, 2019, 11:32 AM
CF Beginner

Default 2013 ecotec pcv

I have a 2013 ecotec. I had it for 1 year with minimal oil burning compared to others. Approximately 1 quart every 2500.
I have been reading about this engine and lawsuits. I saw that the pcv is an issue with these engines. I believe the hose that connects to the plenum should have zero or negative pressure- I checked and it does not. So I called my local gm dealer about it and they said your VIN regarding a clogged pcv is not covered.

I really want to fix this before something worsens. I already installed the fc219 vented cap.
Is it possible to do this myself? I am quite handy around cars.
Old April 14th, 2019, 12:33 PM
CF Monarch

the pcv system is designed to control engine blow by...if the piston rings are the problem...(which they are) the pcv system will be over whelmed. there are technical service bulletins on piston replacement for oil consumption.

put a link up for where you got this information as I would like to look into it.

Last edited by tech2; April 14th, 2019 at 12:37 PM.
Old April 14th, 2019, 3:33 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tech2 View Post
the pcv system is designed to control engine blow by...if the piston rings are the problem...(which they are) the pcv system will be over whelmed. there are technical service bulletins on piston replacement for oil consumption.

put a link up for where you got this information as I would like to look into it.
i am talking about this.

https://gm.oemdtc.com/1899/special-c...-chevrolet-gmc

I checked this hose that goes to the intake plenum and its positive pressure all the time. My VIN is not covered. I would want to take the upper intake off and "unclog" the pcv.
any suggestions?
Old April 14th, 2019, 4:59 PM
CF Monarch

here is my take on it. do what you think is required.

the link refers to oil loss from external seal leaks (a rear main or front crank seal leak) created from and ice formation in the pcv system. Your first post is about oil consumption from the engine not external oil leaks.

if you think you have an external leak...have it inspected. engine oil leaks are covered under powertrain warranty. you are probably out of powertrain coverage unless you bought a service plan. If the service bulletin has updated parts to prevent the ice formation...check to see if the updated parts are on your vehicle. the bulletin may not apply because the updated parts were installed at the factory.

if you think you have oil consumption. the dealer must quantify it in order to determine if action is required. if it is consuming oil in xs of gm specs...it is also covered under powertrain warranty.

not sure what the ecotec uses for a pcv system....some gms don't use a valve but rather a fixed orfice.

every engine will have some blow by and the pcv system is designed to route the gases into the induction system. The blowby at idle should be minimal but a pressure transducer is required to measure it. When pcv blowby is excessive...it will pressurize oil into the air filter.

Search this Thread
Sponsors

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: