Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2013 Equinox occasional knocking noise from back end

Search this Thread

Old April 3rd, 2013, 9:59 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2013 Equinox occasional knocking noise from back end

My new equinox will occasionally make a knocking noise from the back end when first starting. The noise has never happened once the car gets warmed up. The handful of times it has happened, it was before I first put in it drive or when I have just started driving it and are coming to a stop or at a stop. The noise last about 10 seconds and seems to happen most often when the weather is cold. But the noise is sparatic so when I took it in to be checked, there was no noise so they said they couldn't do anything and if it gets worse, bring it back. It happens at times when I am in gear and in park. I don't think it's the brake since it makes noise while in park (without foot on brake).
I've searched different forums and can't find anyone else with the rear end knocking. Can anyone suggest what might be causing it?
Old April 24th, 2013, 7:37 PM
CF Beginner

Hello,I am so glad to see your post I bought my Equinox in November and it is doing the SAME EXACT thing.They have yet to fix it.I just was driving the other day sitting at a red light foot on the break and it did it so I recorded it and will be taking it to the dealer ship on Friday for answers.Please keep me filled in if you find any solutions.Thanks.If you don't mind me asking where did you purchase the car??

If it is easier My name is Lindsey and you can email me at lmich18@yahoo.com THANK YOU
Old May 6th, 2013, 5:51 PM
CF Beginner

I have this exact same issue with my 2013 AWD Equinox. I just noticed it recently and started worrying. Of course the week I call the dealership it hasn't happened since.

The knocking noise (for me at least) seems to come from the back-right rear side. I have the same experience where the noise continues whether my foot is on the brake or not. More often than not, the noise has started while stopping at a traffic light. I have tried putting the car in park/stepping on the parking brake to stop the noise and it seems to make no difference.

Something that is a bit different in my story that no one has mentioned yet is the "knocking" sounds sometimes get faster until it stops completely. Whereas its normally a knock ever second or so, I've noticed sometimes when I start driving right afterwards the knocks quicken to about a knock ever 1/2 second or faster until it goes away.

Most bizarre thing ever.
Old May 8th, 2013, 4:18 PM
CF Beginner

Default Possible fix

lmich18 informed me that her dealership chalked it up to "bad high pressure fuel pump" and they relpaced it under warrenty. You might throw that at them and see what they say.
Old May 8th, 2013, 5:20 PM
CF Beginner

I emailed the user and they stated the issue returned just 4 days later, that part was not a fix to this problem.
Old May 9th, 2013, 7:47 AM
CF Beginner

Thank you mjoines.They infact did say it was the bad high pressure fuel pump.The csr was not fixed which means that was not the problem.My Equinox goes back tomorrow once again.
Old May 9th, 2013, 2:17 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

lmich18, mjoines, Equinoxowner,

I know multiple trips to the dealership can be frustrating. I would like to look into each situation separately. Can you please private message me your name, VIN, address, phone number, and name of the Certified GM Dealership you are working with? Hope to hear from you soon!

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old June 3rd, 2013, 10:58 AM
CF Beginner

Erica,

I am having a similar problem with my new 2013 Equinox. The sporadic knocking is coming from the right hand side in the rear of the vehicle. It only happens at startup and lasts approx. 30 secs. I've taken it to the dealership multiple times only to be told that this noise is probably normal. I guarantee if this was a normal noise, I would not have purchased the vehicle. Has a fix been found for this issue? What is my next step?

Thanks
Nicole
Nrpiper@Yahoo.com

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
lmich18, mjoines, Equinoxowner,

I know multiple trips to the dealership can be frustrating. I would like to look into each situation separately. Can you please private message me your name, VIN, address, phone number, and name of the Certified GM Dealership you are working with? Hope to hear from you soon!

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old June 3rd, 2013, 6:47 PM
CF Beginner

Does anyone know if there is a resolution to the knocking noise in the 2013 Chevy Equinox? I am experiencing the same issue and getting the run around from the dealership.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Nicole
Old June 4th, 2013, 7:26 AM
CF Beginner

Good morning I would like to let everyone know that my 2013 Equinox is fixed.The auxiliary pump is a bad part number.Tell the service department to contact gm and they will tell the to replace the part.

Quick Reply: 2013 Equinox occasional knocking noise from back end