Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2017 Equinox: Reduced Engine Power, Service Stabilitrak

Search this Thread

Old January 17th, 2019, 9:55 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2017 Equinox: Reduced Engine Power, Service Stabilitrak

I registered for this forum because I am hoping that it can help me with this situation.

I have a 2017 Chevrolet Equinox, I was driving to work his morning without any problems everything was normal. When I was about a mile away from my job the check engine light, and the traction control light came on all of a sudden. I looked at the Dashboard message and it said REDUCED ENGINE POWER, SERVICE STABILITRAK. I bought this car brand new and have been the only driver I have never had any issues with the vehicle and other than having my windows tinted I have not done any customization to the vehicle. All of my driving is highway so I rarely hit potholes or run over anything that could dislodge or loosen anything to my knowledge. I watched a few videos and read some other forums on here but everyone else I see having this issue had a much older model of the Equinox (most are 10 years older). Does anyone have any clue as to what could be the problem, or has anyone already had this fixed and know some price points. I'm sure I will have to go to the dealership I am just trying to get an idea of what the cost might be to have whatever this issue is fixed.

If anyone knows what it is for sure and has a link to a video I don't mind doing it myself just want to be sure I'm doing the right thing.

All help is appreciated thank you.
Old January 17th, 2019, 10:42 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by I_Drive_Chevys
I registered for this forum because I am hoping that it can help me with this situation.

I have a 2017 Chevrolet Equinox, I was driving to work his morning without any problems everything was normal. When I was about a mile away from my job the check engine light, and the traction control light came on all of a sudden. I looked at the Dashboard message and it said REDUCED ENGINE POWER, SERVICE STABILITRAK. I bought this car brand new and have been the only driver I have never had any issues with the vehicle and other than having my windows tinted I have not done any customization to the vehicle. All of my driving is highway so I rarely hit potholes or run over anything that could dislodge or loosen anything to my knowledge. I watched a few videos and read some other forums on here but everyone else I see having this issue had a much older model of the Equinox (most are 10 years older). Does anyone have any clue as to what could be the problem, or has anyone already had this fixed and know some price points. I'm sure I will have to go to the dealership I am just trying to get an idea of what the cost might be to have whatever this issue is fixed.

If anyone knows what it is for sure and has a link to a video I don't mind doing it myself just want to be sure I'm doing the right thing.

All help is appreciated thank you.
Whatever it is should be covered under warranty and shouldn't cost you anything. You have a 3 year (from date of manufacture) or 36,000 mile bumper-to-bumper warranty. You also have a 6 year/60,000 mile powertrain warranty which should cover this issue since you are seeing the REDUCED ENGINE POWER message. The SERVICE STABILITRAK message is probably just coming on because it Stabilitrak is disabled due to whatever is causing the other message to appear.
Old February 25th, 2019, 1:14 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2017 Chevrolet Equinox.

2017 Equinox: Reduced Engine Power, Service Stabilitrak

Is this covered under warranty?