Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Equinox (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/equinox-23/)
-   -   2018 2.0 AWD LT Equinox burning smell (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/equinox-23/2018-2-0-awd-lt-equinox-burning-smell-88962/)

Maddalex February 12th, 2018 8:36 PM

2018 2.0 AWD LT Equinox burning smell

Hi all,

New here. First time post, long time Chev owner. Recently bought a demo Equinox and when it idles at a light or for any period of time it smells like burning oil. It was so bad the other day my girls put down the windows, it was -20 C out. Has about 6000 kms on it now, 4500 when I bought it. Is this a new vehicle break in smell? IF so for how long. If its a problem, what is it?

thank you in advance.

oilcanhenry February 12th, 2018 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by Maddalex (Post 352669)
Hi all,

New here. First time post, long time Chev owner. Recently bought a demo Equinox and when it idles at a light or for any period of time it smells like burning oil. It was so bad the other day my girls put down the windows, it was -20 C out. Has about 6000 kms on it now, 4500 when I bought it. Is this a new vehicle break in smell? IF so for how long. If its a problem, what is it?

thank you in advance.

I have owned and driven LOTS of vehicles in my lifetime, including Semi-Diesel rigs. I am also a pretty damn good mechanic and I have broken in more then one motor. I have never encountered the smell of burning oil on a new vehicle. I wont even speculate on what the issue is. Take it back to the dealership and MAKE them repair the problem, because motors that are built right dont burn oil while "breaking in".

Maddalex February 13th, 2018 12:04 AM

Thank you. Booked appointment. Still wondering what it might be.

Maddalex March 11th, 2018 11:28 PM

Still not fixed

Been in 2x for 2.5 days for each fix and still the smell persists. Completely choked a brand new vehicle continues to emit this smell despite the "fixes". Had a similar experience with the loaner they gave me - 2018 Terrain. New platform year, is this a bigger issue than my vehicle or am I just unlucky this go around?

kevinkpk March 12th, 2018 3:23 PM

MAKE THE DEALER FIX OR REPACE IT! If the dealer can't fix it, it can't be fixed, then have it replaced. Does your state have a lemon law?

Maddalex March 12th, 2018 7:20 PM

Originally Posted by kevinkpk (Post 354078)
MAKE THE DEALER FIX OR REPACE IT! If the dealer can't fix it, it can't be fixed, then have it replaced. Does your state have a lemon law?

Live in Canada, Alberta. Not that I am aware of. Will check into it though.

piatomasi January 21st, 2019 9:35 PM

Originally Posted by Maddalex (Post 352684)
Thank you. Booked appointment. Still wondering what it might be.

I have a 2018 Equinox 2.0 Premier AWD and I have the very same annoying issue...to the point it makes me sick...its only when the AWD is on too...I am going to make an appointment too

Maddalex January 21st, 2019 9:40 PM

Originally Posted by piatomasi (Post 369519)
I have a 2018 Equinox 2.0 Premier AWD and I have the very same annoying issue...to the point it makes me sick...its only when the AWD is on too...I am going to make an appointment too

Good idea. Since my original post my Equinox has been in 4 different times to replace 4 different gaskets. And currently, for the second time, they have put some type of dye into the engine to find where the new leak is. Because of auto stop or auto shut off the smell can be intermittent. I have never had a leak that I could spot by seeing stains on the ground or snow, it has always been through smell. My advise to you is when they say its fixed and you pick up your Equinox, start it at the dealership and let it run for 20 mins, the smell will still be present if the leak wasn't fixed. I have 50k on my Equinox in the past year and completely frustrated with the ongoing gasket leaks.