Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

abs tc light

Search this Thread

Old June 27th, 2017, 5:05 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default abs tc light

I have a 2005 Chevy equinox. My abs light came on while driving home one night. Shortly after the tc light also came on. There are no obvious problems with braking. I took the car to Auto Zone and they said there were no codes on the computer. My husband looked at the brakes and they are fine. He also just replaced the front hub assembly on the passenger side. The other was done 2 years ago. The lights are still on. Any suggestions?
Old June 27th, 2017, 4:30 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

You'll need to retrieve the stored troublecodes and go from there. The code reader AutoZone usually uses is only able to check for powertrain (Pxxxx) codes which are not related to your ABS/traction control lights. Any reputable shop should have a diagnostic tool capable of retrieving the troublecodes. Your regular brakes will work just fine, but will lock up like a vehicle not equipped with anti-lock brakes.

With the limited information provided, I'd say you most likely have a bad wheel speed sensor or a bad alternator. The ABS draws a lot of power when it is active so it is usually disabled when low charging system voltage is detected.
Old June 29th, 2017, 7:59 AM
Former Sponsor

Hey sharibear,

BlueDriver can read the ABS code on your 2005 Equinox. The app will also recommend what you can do to fix the problem.
Old June 29th, 2017, 11:49 AM
CF Active Member

I have the Blue Driver sensor and app and it is very easy to use. The app is free and the sensor was only $100.00. I have a 2007 Equinox and have had similar issues. I have change all 4 wheel bearings and still get the occasional warning light. My problem is related to my EGR valve. You do need to know what codes are set and what codes are pending. The Blue Driver sensor will give you that information and most probable fix information.