Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

bad heater core

Search this Thread

Old September 24th, 2012, 1:56 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face bad heater core

I have a 2006 equinox with a bad heater core that is causing the antifreeze to leak into the car under my feet. Is this part of the HVAC system recall?
Old October 2nd, 2012, 11:57 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by jess
I have a 2006 equinox with a bad heater core that is causing the antifreeze to leak into the car under my feet. Is this part of the HVAC system recall?
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> jess,

Would you please provide the last 8-digits of your VIN (PM me if you prefer), so I can look into this for you?

I look forward to your reply.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old October 9th, 2012, 8:43 AM
CF Beginner

Jess,

What was the outcome of this??

Louis, I emailed you.

I have a 2006 Equinox that had the heater core replaced in 04/09 under warranty. Now, it needs replaced AGAIN! to the tune of $1100+. THis is crazy! From what I have researched and from speaking with mechanics that I know, this is something that you maybe have to replace once in the lifetime of a vehicle. Something has to be wrong here!
Old October 28th, 2014, 10:50 PM
CF Beginner

Default need heater core replacement

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> jess,

Would you please provide the last 8-digits of your VIN (PM me if you prefer), so I can look into this for you?

I look forward to your reply.

Louis
GM Customer Service
I have a 2007 equinox and its heater core blew. How can I find it if repairs can be covered through any recalls?
Old October 29th, 2014, 7:22 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

call any dealer and provide your vin and they can check. the only recall that I know of is for the temp blend door for 2006 models.
Old October 11th, 2015, 8:19 AM
CF Beginner

Default 2006 Chevy Equinox 93k miles bad heater core

Hi I have a 2006 Chevy Equinox and it has a bad heater core this is a common issue for this car I travel around with my kids who complain "daddy it's cold" and windshield is fogged up. Come on Chevy this should be a recall with this many complaints. Furthermore I looked into how much repairs would cost $1000+ for changing out a heater core that should last a lifetime for a car. I don't have the resources to repair.
Old October 11th, 2015, 9:45 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

if you have the heater core repaired. make sure you have them install a new temp blend door also while the heater case is accessible. the door is cheap. having to do back in there at a later date to replace the door is not.
Old October 15th, 2015, 3:28 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Ja35048
Hi I have a 2006 Chevy Equinox and it has a bad heater core this is a common issue for this car I travel around with my kids who complain "daddy it's cold" and windshield is fogged up. Come on Chevy this should be a recall with this many complaints. Furthermore I looked into how much repairs would cost $1000+ for changing out a heater core that should last a lifetime for a car. I don't have the resources to repair.
Welcome to the forum, Ja35048,

This is certainly something we don’t like to hear, and would like to be of assistance in the best way possible. We would be more than happy to look further into this heater concern on your behalf. In order to do so, we will need a private message with your VIN, full contact information, current mileage and preferred dealership. Please be sure to include any additional details as you see fit.

We look forward to your response,

Helen
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old December 6th, 2015, 12:10 PM
CF Beginner

Default My car won't go over 10 mph

I have a 2011 Malibu. For the last month or so I'll be driving and the check engine light will come on after it jerks really hard not matter how fast I'm going. If I have to come to a complete stop, it won't go over 10 mph. I had the same problem a few months ago went to auto zone had the codes read and was told it was the transmission control unit. Took it to the dealership, all they did was update the software. Now 5 or 6 months later it's doing if again and now it won't be covered under warranty. I don't drive it anymore because I have 2 small children and a wife who has had 2 neck surgeries. Now we depend on my work vehicle which is a 1994 ford explorer. Thanks Chevy I'll never be buying another one.
Old December 12th, 2015, 8:23 AM
CF Beginner

Angry 2007 Chevy Equinox

I have a 2007 Chevy Equinox with a bad smell of anti freeze in the car when the heat or ac is on. Even a slight smell of anti freeze when the heat or ac is off. A lot of people are telling me it's the heater core. My car doesn't even have 50,000 miles on it so I don't see why a heater core is bad since they suppose last a long time. Is Chevy making this recall since ALOT of people are complaining about it? To spend over $1000.00 to repair it is crazy considering I have an Autistic child with special needs that I provide for, but he also rides in the car with me so I have to do something because I don't want him to get sick from it like I do. So I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. I have been dealing with Chevy all my life, in a matter of fact my whole family drives nothing but chevy and none of them are having this problem except me. Maybe because I bought a Equinox and they have other different models chvey.

Last edited by Deee; December 12th, 2015 at 8:27 AM.

Quick Reply: bad heater core