Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

braking problems on 07 Equinox LT

Search this Thread

Old September 16th, 2012, 10:13 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in the process of rebuilding the front caliper which has 2 pistons. I was able to push one of the pistons out with compressed air but the other won't budge. Any suggestions?
I'm limited on tools.
Old September 16th, 2012, 10:29 AM
CF Junior Member

Never mind the last post! I was able to get it out. Now the dust boot. How do I get it to seat all the way in?
Old September 16th, 2012, 10:37 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by ruley73
Starting with the 2007 model year, the Equinox has four-wheel disc brakes. So they don't use wheel cylinders; let alone four wheel cylinders.

It is never necessary to bleed the brake lines unless one of the bleeder screws has been loosened or if a hydraulic component (e.g. caliper, master cylinder, brake line/hose) has been replaced. Some people loosen the bleeder screw to drain the fluid from the calipers when they compress the caliper piston(s) during a pad replacement. There is really nothing wrong with this, but it adds unnecessary work because now bleeding the brake lines is required. Instead, one should loosen the master cylinder cap so the fluid can return to the reservoir when the calipers are compressed. This also keeps the hydraulic lines sealed, so there is no chance for air or moisture to contaminate the fluid.

What constitutes as "1 dragging incident"? Did you find out which wheel was dragging? If one is still sticking, it could be a sticking piston in one of the calipers; which is what I think SWHouston may have been eluding to. In which case rebuilding (much cheaper) or replacing (easier) only the faulty caliper would be necessary.
How do I get the piston past the new seal?
Old September 16th, 2012, 11:04 AM
CF Junior Member

The new dust boots appear to be the same but are a little different in respect to the outer seal. The old ones were soft, but the new ones are very firm, rigid almost. How do I get them to seal?
Old September 16th, 2012, 12:46 PM
CF Junior Member

Seems as though Adv Auto had the part but it is not exact. O'Reilly auto parts had to order the parts. I will find out if they are an exact fit. Does anyone know what the dealer will charge for the kit or will they force you to buy a new caliper which I DON"T need!
Old September 24th, 2012, 10:03 AM
CF Junior Member

After rebuilding the front brake calipers, the car drove fine with no problems until yesterday. I believe that the jerking my wife was explaining to me is the ABS kicking in and grabbing. What is the remedy for this problem?
Old September 24th, 2012, 1:51 PM
CF Beginner

is the heater core part of the HVAC system?
Old October 28th, 2015, 3:33 PM
CF Beginner

check the vacuume booster for the brake fluid i just had one half full from the master leaking
Old January 6th, 2022, 6:58 AM
CF Beginner

Angry Replacing rotors WAY too much!

I have a 2007 Chevy Equinox and in the past 3 years, I've had to replace the rotors at least 4 times. For some reason they keep warping. This most recent replacement, I had the technician put the BEST rotors he could on my car. 6 months later, they are needing replaced again. It causes my steering wheel to vibrate and shake when I have to break with even the slightest bit of force. If anyone has an suggestions, please send them my way. Tire of spending money!

Thanks, lisa
Old January 7th, 2022, 12:06 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by lisabram
I have a 2007 Chevy Equinox and in the past 3 years, I've had to replace the rotors at least 4 times. For some reason they keep warping. This most recent replacement, I had the technician put the BEST rotors he could on my car. 6 months later, they are needing replaced again. It causes my steering wheel to vibrate and shake when I have to break with even the slightest bit of force. If anyone has an suggestions, please send them my way. Tire of spending money!

Thanks, lisa
Make sure the mounting surface of each hub is squeaky clean and free of rust/corrosion before installing new rotors. Also, replace both front brake hoses if you've never replaced them before. They frequently go bad on these models, especially if you live in the rust belt. Bad hoses will cause the calipers to hang up and not release when they should.

Quick Reply: braking problems on 07 Equinox LT