Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

I want to install XM Radio in 2008 Equinox

Search this Thread

Old February 17th, 2010, 7:34 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I want to install XM Radio in 2008 Equinox

I have a 2008 Equinox LT with a 6 disc changer radio with CAT & Band buttons. When I press the CAT button I get "XM feature" on the display screen, the band button just gives AM or FM.
I believe the radio is xm ready what do I need to add XM to it and is it a difficult install?
Old February 21st, 2010, 12:24 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

see your local parts dept to see if a kit is available for your vehicle.
Old February 21st, 2010, 3:15 PM
CF Beginner

I have the same vehicle and was disappointed to discover that it was a former fleet vehicle with what seems to have been the software for xm capabilities removed. My radio is exactly the same minus the changer with the exact same feature. I was told that a tech could possibly reinstall the software using a scan tool, but that very few techs actually have the know-how to do it and I'd probably have to visit multiple dealerships to find someone who can do it. At that point, then I can install the xm tuner. I hope this isn't your situation and if anyone knows anything more about my situation, I'd appreciate suggestions.
Old February 21st, 2010, 5:15 PM
Banned

no software involved......its entirely hardware.
Starts with the radio, then wiring to the digital radio reciever, then antenna cable, then the antenna itself which is built into the onstar antenna. And no its not built with the xm antenna if its not equipped with xm from the factory.
Old February 21st, 2010, 7:32 PM
CF Beginner

Hey Shawn
So you're saying that if my radio has the "cat" button and shows "xm feature" when I push it, then adding an xm tuner and antenna should be what I need, right?
Old March 4th, 2010, 9:08 PM
Banned

as long as a kit is available then yes
Old March 25th, 2010, 8:57 AM
CF Beginner

Where do you get the kits?
Old March 25th, 2010, 7:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by shawnvw
see your local parts dept to see if a kit is available for your vehicle.
Old October 14th, 2010, 2:04 PM
CF Beginner

I would like to know where you get the kit also!!!
Old December 25th, 2011, 1:00 PM
CF Beginner

UPDATE: Added the Sirius kit listed below; works like a charm. But easier than I thought. Just want to share the experience.

I dreaded the idea of pulling panels and the head unit, but found that when I opened the left rear quarter panel (by removing the small cargo bin on top of it) the plug for an XM unit was still there. When I plugged in the kit tuner with the cord provided and added the antenna, it worked immediately. Apparently the XM cord was already attached to the head unit. Gave up on trying to use the Onstar antenna but using (and hiding cord for) the magnetic antenna that came with the kit was simple. What a great unit!

I originally posted to this older thread because it kinda ended without an answer and I thought I wanted to find the XM antenna that previous post says is built into the Onstar antenna. Original head unit had a notation for XM so I'd like to see if there is an XM antenna still here. There was no tuner, though.

Hope it helps for those who, like me, became a reluctant fan of satellite radio by buying a used car with Sirius already installed and active. This solution retains all the steering wheel and display functions, cheaply, without adding new visible wires or "stuff."

Here's the link to the Sirius tuner kit:

http://www.amazon.com/Sirius-SIRGM1-Connect-GM-Radios/dp/B000CP1318/ref=au_pf_pfg_s?ie=UTF8&Model=Equinox|2487&n=10770 68&s=car&Make=Chevrolet|47&Year=2005|2005&vehicleT ype=automotive&newCar=1&carId=001

Last edited by VAEQ; December 29th, 2011 at 3:56 PM.

Quick Reply: I want to install XM Radio in 2008 Equinox