Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

Camshaft for torque increase

Search this Thread

Old August 6th, 2014, 12:54 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camshaft for torque increase

I have a stock 3400 LNJ. It produces 185 hp (138 kW) and 210 lb·ft (285 N·m).

My transmission is an Aisin AF33 that has a gearbox limit of 243 ft·lbf (329 N·m) of torque.

I have been considering a few options to get a torque/HP increase. I would have loved to supercharge my 3400 but I cant afford a new tranny. Looks like a 20-30lb torque increase will have to suffice. I have considered porting/polishing my heads or a 3500 head swap.

Computer adjustments are NOT necessary with a new camshaft (so I have been told)? Basically I am looking for help to properly remove my old camshaft and install the new one. While I have the engine open are there any other parts I should consider replacing? Valves? Lifters? Head gasket? (my previous engine had a had gasket issue, among other things, leading to a tick, then blowing 6 months later despite all my efforts, hense my newer engine, that I have been treating very very well so I can do something like this).

If somebody has anything even close to a step-by-step guide it would mean the world. I guess this would be my first "engine job". I have a torque wrench and angle gauge for the cylinder head bolts.
Are there any other parts besides the cylinder head bolts I should consider replacing while I am at it? Head gasket? Valves? Lifters? (hydraulic, switch to anything else??), new timing chain? (and ofcourse new Comp Cams 26986 Valve Springs)

I am not trying to push crazy power out of the engine, I am purchasing the torque/MPG cam to help move the extra weight of my equinox. This is all for a learning experience. The fact that I can do it for $500-$600 is more appealing then trying to piece all of the parts together for a 3500 swap and have random parts and adapters.

If anybody has a better idea to get 20-30lbs of torque that is easier then a camshaft swap, I am all for it. I figure a camshaft swap is a nice step-by-step guide towards getting to know the inside of my engine, because I love every other bit of my car.

NOTE: this is my daily driver, so I need to do the job right. I will post pics and keep you updated, I need some input before I move forward with the job. All help appreciated
Old August 6th, 2014, 10:20 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

What year is your Equinox? The 2007-2009 Equinox w/3.4 is supported by HPTuners. I'd try a tune first if you can.

Last edited by ruley73; August 6th, 2014 at 10:59 AM.
Old August 6th, 2014, 12:32 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its a 2005 with a 3400 LNJ. Not compatible.

I have looked into piggybacking, downgrading to OBDI or a 3500 swap. So far a cam seems the most reasonable (being one single part and not crazy expensive).