Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

car stalled out wont start

Search this Thread

Old August 19th, 2015, 5:01 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car stalled out wont start

i will try to put as much info as i can

i recently rebuilt most of the front end of my 05 equinox struts control arm bushings ball joints and passenger side wheel bearing caliper and brake hose i took it for an allignment on the way home traction control light came on lost power steering accelerator stopped working car would not start after that it ran an odb2 diagnoatic on it and it kicked 6 codes 2 duplicates a c0040 rf wheel speed sensor circut malfunction c0236 traction contorol revelations per minute signal circut malfunction p0454 evap/emmision system pressure sensor/switch intermittant p0455 evap emission system leak detected (gross leak/no flow) i am going to change the canister purge valve as that is what I believe the issue is with the p codes but I don't understand why it would not start any insight into ideas would me much appreciated
Old August 19th, 2015, 7:43 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Does the engine turn over when you attempt to start it?
Have you tested battery and alternator?
Did you have the shifter in neutral or park when you tried to start it?
Old August 19th, 2015, 8:28 PM
CF Beginner

Car is in park when attempting to start it cranks and then sputters and won't turn over have not tested battery or alternator
Old August 19th, 2015, 9:39 PM
CF Pro Member

If the engine cranks it should have enough power to start and run.
What is the fuel level? The fact that it sputters indicates that you probably have spark and hints toward a fuel/air problem. You could take the air intake hose off and see if the throttle plate moves when trying to start it. You might need a buddy to help you and it might trigger the check engine light because you will be bypassing the MAF sensor when you do this. If the throttle plate doesn't move at all then that may be your problem.
Old August 19th, 2015, 10:18 PM
CF Beginner

I'll try that tomorrow morning I'm at work I'll comment back after I try and let you know how it goes appreciate the help
Old August 20th, 2015, 2:37 PM
CF Beginner

So update battery was bad I installed that and canister purge valve car started cold drove for approx 15 miles and 20 minutes got home turned off went to restart and motor cranks but does not turn over no codes at this time that are pertanent just the c0040 wheel speed sensor code I have to get dressed for work now but before I leave I will see if throttle plate moves while engine is warm trying to start didn't look at that yet
Old August 20th, 2015, 2:42 PM
CF Beginner

Throttle plate moves goes from slightly open to completely closed when trying to start
Old August 20th, 2015, 11:10 PM
CF Beginner

So here's where I'm at I've been told it sounds like fuel pump I'm a little skeptical after inatalling new battery and canister purge valve car started a little rough at 305 pm drove 15 miles in approx 25 mins parked car shut off engine tried restarting would not turn over it cranked but didn't turn over let sit until 820 pm did not turn over tried again at 1143 pm started let idle started idleing high 1500 rpm dropped proggesivly to 700 rpm ran for 7 mins then stalled and would not restart only code that kicked was pending p0455 evap emission leak(gross leak/no flow) any thoughts
Old August 21st, 2015, 9:04 PM
CF Pro Member

You need to clarify what you mean when you say "crank" and "turn over". Both of these terms mean the same thing: that the starter is engaging and turning the crankshaft over. The way you're using these terms seems to imply that at times the starter is not turning the crankshaft over at all or that the starter isn't working. If this is the case you have an electrical or starter issue as a bad fuel pump would not cause that.

Aside from that your stalling and no start problems could be caused by a bad fuel pump. What fuel level does the gauge indicate? The saddle design of the fuel tank splits it into two portions or reservoirs so the tank has two fuel modules. The primary module is on the right side of the tank and contains a fuel level sensor along with the primary and secondary fuel pumps. The primary fuel pump supplies the engine with fuel and the secondary pump pumps fuel to the "primary" (right) side of the tank via a cross tube. The secondary module is on the left and does not have a fuel pump in it, just a fuel level sensor. The fuel gauge indicates the mean value of the two sensors.