Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta
Old July 22nd, 2015, 2:36 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Transmission
Print Wikipost

complete transmission fluid change

Search this Thread

Old October 4th, 2012, 8:26 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

iv done my trans oil change 3 times! always used mobil 3309. sinse GM,toyota,volvo geting there oil in there bottles from mobil its the exact oil that we need!
the reason i'v done it 3 times it because i did not wanted to do the flash but wanted to change most of the oil in a trany! after first oil change iv done about 3000miles. after the second change 3000miles and changed the oil. the tranny is shifting smooth! the car have 180000miles and runing just fine.
Old January 9th, 2013, 8:03 AM
CF Beginner

All excellent information. I went to my local dealer and asked about trans service. I changed the trans fluid/filter in my Dodge truck religiously at 35K and wanted to follow suit with my equinox. dealer said, "It's a sealed unit. Lasts 100K....you can't change the fluid."

I'll be draining mine this weekend and changing the fluid.
Old January 19th, 2013, 3:49 PM
CF Beginner

Default Complete transmission service

I have been worried about this for a while and checked with the dealer today they quoted me $230 to change because of the difficulty in accessing the dip stick. I came home, found this thread and proceeded to check the fluid. I found if you take the battery box and mounting bracket out you can access the transmission dipstick without too much trouble AND you can do it from under the hood.

The fluid was red and full so I left it alone....
Old January 19th, 2013, 6:40 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by bluespeed3
I have been worried about this for a while and checked with the dealer today they quoted me $230 to change because of the difficulty in accessing the dip stick. I came home, found this thread and proceeded to check the fluid. I found if you take the battery box and mounting bracket out you can access the transmission dipstick without too much trouble AND you can do it from under the hood.

The fluid was red and full so I left it alone....
Keep in mind, you don't want to wait until the fluid darkens. When the fluid begins to darken, excessive wear is already happening. This is what you want to prevent.
Old January 19th, 2013, 7:14 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

yep. change it every 60 000miles/90 000km.
Old May 2nd, 2013, 12:56 AM
CF Beginner

Question transaxle fluid/filter change

I have a 2005 equinox FWD. I'm currently at 55000 miles on it and the book says for maintenance to change the transaxle fluid and filter every 50000 miles. I got a quote for around $200 for getting the fluid changed but they said that the filter would cost about $1000 because its at least 15 hours of work not counting all the extra maintenance afterwards. Is this right how does periodic maintenance cost so much? I've read all the posts on here and everyone just talks about the fluid not the filter. Thanks for any assistance
Old May 3rd, 2013, 1:04 PM
CF Pro Member

Originally Posted by Sojuexp
I have a 2005 equinox FWD. I'm currently at 55000 miles on it and the book says for maintenance to change the transaxle fluid and filter every 50000 miles. I got a quote for around $200 for getting the fluid changed but they said that the filter would cost about $1000 because its at least 15 hours of work not counting all the extra maintenance afterwards. Is this right how does periodic maintenance cost so much? I've read all the posts on here and everyone just talks about the fluid not the filter. Thanks for any assistance
The transmission fluid filter is not serviceable. The Aisin transmission must be disassembled for it to be replaced. The 2005 owner's manual incorrectly says to change the transmission filter. The 2006-2009 owner's manuals only mention changing the fluid.
Old May 6th, 2013, 12:25 AM
CF Beginner

Smile

Originally Posted by ruley73
The transmission fluid filter is not serviceable. The Aisin transmission must be disassembled for it to be replaced. The 2005 owner's manual incorrectly says to change the transmission filter. The 2006-2009 owner's manuals only mention changing the fluid.

Ok thank you, thats what I was planning on doing. I just wanted to ask someone elses opinion.
Old October 11th, 2013, 6:11 PM
CF Beginner

can you do complete fluid exchange
Old October 12th, 2013, 10:08 PM
CF Pro Member

Originally Posted by samwal
can you do complete fluid exchange
Yes. See post #1.

Quick Reply: complete transmission fluid change