Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta
Old July 22nd, 2015, 2:36 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Transmission
Print Wikipost

complete transmission fluid change

Search this Thread

Old October 13th, 2013, 10:37 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Chevy Equinox Transmission issues

Hi Guys, I just bought a 2007 Equinox with transmission issues. It is a LS series and from what I can determine, when it is stone cold and you start it, it will go into every gear. It will driver forward and backward for a very short distance (not out of the driveway). Once it moves a short distance, then it is done. It won't move or noticeably go into gear after that. It's got 130K miles and I don't know of it's maintenance history. The former owner said he checked the dipstick and it's full. He told me he had to remove the trans mount to access the dipstick and he showed me where it is. They were in a hurry to sell as the wife is expecting any day for number three (all in car seats). They need something bigger. I've read a bunch of horror stories concerning these transmissions(I guess you never hear about the ones that don't have issues). I'm looking for advice on what to try next. Thanks...
Old October 14th, 2013, 12:51 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

Check for transmission dtc and post the codes here.

you can check the fluid level without removing the trans. the dipstick is located by the driver side front engine mount. remove the bolt that holds the dipstick with a 10mm socket. this is probably best accessed from under the vehicle. If the fluid is low, add some. if its smelly and brown your into a rebuild.
Old April 5th, 2014, 1:33 PM
CF Beginner

Default what size bolt is the fill plug

I can't get it off. Please someone tell me what size tool I can use to remove the fill plug so I place my fluids back in.
Old April 7th, 2014, 9:14 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Young T
I can't get it off. Please someone tell me what size tool I can use to remove the fill plug so I place my fluids back in.
You fill this transmission through the dipstick opening. The bolt that holds the (yellow) dipstick in place requires a 12mm socket to remove.
Old April 26th, 2016, 2:40 PM
CF Beginner

got a question , which side is that cooling line you take off on the Radiator the driver side or passenger.
Old April 26th, 2016, 2:47 PM
CF Beginner

Please disregard my last post I just saw where that cooler line is located.
Old November 14th, 2016, 10:11 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks to the OP for posting this information. I also had about 3.75 quarts to replace when I just drained the transmission. Even though the PDF said about 3.3 quarts to replace. Have a 2007 Equinox LT AWD, 81,000 miles.

Thanks also for the info regarding T-IV at a Toyota dealership. Was able to pick up a case at $5.34 a quart.

I used an 18" extension on my socket to remove the 12mm bolt from above. Removed the battery and the battery box but the mount to the car seemed like more work than needed. Found the extension from the top to be quite easy, after attempting the battery mount removal.

Getting the dipstick out the first time was challenging. I removed it from underneath. Did not jack up. I used old transmission oil on the gasket before inserting and was much easier the other times when checking the level. As mentioned by others, from underneath I also used the end of a wrench to properly seat the dipstick back in the hole. Toughest part was returning the bolt.

Like anything, the first time was the toughest. Next time I will have no issues and it should go much quicker. I will be replacing the transmission cooler lines as there was a significant amount of rust on the lines. Looked quite brittle.

Unfortunately, GM has made this a challenging DIY project. Did the same replacement on my 2011 Odyssey and it couldn't have been easier. Practically changed itself compared to the Equinox.
Old November 16th, 2016, 8:21 PM
Super Moderator

gm put the aisin built trans in this vehicle...aisin is toyota owned...so complain to the right company.
Old November 18th, 2016, 8:16 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tech2
gm put the aisin built trans in this vehicle...aisin is toyota owned...so complain to the right company.
Sorry, not much of a "car' person. I didn't know that Aisin was the only company that manufactures transmissions.
Old November 18th, 2016, 8:41 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 7474
I didn't know that Aisin was the only company that manufactures transmissions.
i didn't even know that i said that. thanks for pointing that out.

Quick Reply: complete transmission fluid change