Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

computer will not reset after getting battery replaced

Search this Thread

Old October 3rd, 2011, 9:02 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default computer will not reset after getting battery replaced

I have a 2008 Equinox, and last Thursday I went to Firestone after my battery died and had a new battery put in. While I was there, they told me my inspection sticker would be expiring the next day, which I totally forgot about! But they said I needed to drive it about 150 miles and do all kinds of different driving (freeway, neighborhood, etc) so the computer would reset. And it needed to have between 3/4 and 1/4 tank of gas. So I spent a few hours that evening putting the miles on.
I went in the next morning, and it still hadn't reset! I was heading out of town that afternoon and would be driving more than 300 miles to my destination, and 300 back the next afternoon. The inspector said to come back in Monday (today) and it should be good. Well, I showed up this morning, and waited 4 hours because the computer still hadn't reset, and the inspector was driving it to make sure everything was covered that should allow the computer to reset. It still wouldn't work, and he thinks something might be wrong with my computer.
I told him I have a 100,000 mile bumper-to-bumper warranty, and he said computer issues should be covered, and to take it over to the Chevy dealership to have them check it out. So I headed over there. The guy there first told me I needed to drive it around more and there isn't anything he can really do. I kept trying to explain that Firestone inspected it twice and I already have more than 800 miles since getting the new battery. He didn't seem very interested in helping me. He finally said he would go talk to one of his service guys. He came back and told me that I needed to let it sit for at least 17 hours and start it in an ambient temp no more than 85 deg., and make sure the gas tank has a 1/2 tank. I said ok and left. Then I realized that that's exactly what I did this morning. It had been sitting in my garage for over 24 hours and had exactly 1/2 tank of gas when I started it this morning and the temp was in the 70s. I'm letting it sit again for 17 hours and will head back to Firestone in the morning, but I have a sinking feeling it isn't going to work.
Sorry about the long description; I'm just so frustrated. Has anyone every heard of this kind of issue? Could it actually be something wrong with the computer, or is it really this much trouble to get the computer to reset? I feel like the next thing they'll tell me is I have to hop on 1 foot while chewing gum and clucking like a chicken before I turn on the car!!
Old October 3rd, 2011, 9:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the forum. It sounds like yours is hung up on the EVAP test enable conditions. Because of the need to measure fuel vapor pressures accurately, various conditions (startup IAT ≤ 86°F, startup ECT ≤ 95°F, ambient temperature at end of drive ≥ 32°F but ≤ 93°F, and so on) have to be met before the ECM will actually run/complete the tests. Also, it may take 2 to 6 trips before all the OBD readiness tests are complete. Unless you have pending trouble codes, there's nothing you can do but wait.
Old August 1st, 2021, 4:37 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default update?

hi there I'm having the same problem with my 2012 Chevy equinox did you ever find a solution to the problem?