Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

Questions about factory recall for Excessive oil consumption .

Search this Thread

Old March 10th, 2018, 6:54 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about factory recall for Excessive oil consumption .

2012 Equinox 2.4L FWD 97,000 miles (Location SE MN)

I received my letter from the factory telling me that my Equinox qualifies for a recall. I took it to the dealer for the recal fix last fall. They sent me home to gather oil consumption data for 6, 000 miles or 2 oil changes. I was tasked with checking and recording oil levels every 500 miles. I've done that every 500 miles it has been down at least 1/2 a qt. The last 2,000 miles it's been down 3/4 of a qt. every check. This week I started getting an "Engine Power is Reduced" Warning after it warms up. Along with that I always get a "Service Stabili Trak" warning too. The engine will die when slowing down and coming up to a stop light unless I keep the RPM's above 2K. I have had an SES light for about 15,000 miles now and a friend who has a scanner read it and said Ox Sensor was bad.
I took my oil consumption data to the dealer and they scheduled me this Wednesday to replace the faulty rings. I asked the Service Manger if They are going to replace defective sensors along with the Catylitic converter (rotten egg smell now), and he told me they can only replace items that show codes, maybe. Maybe? So I have been blowing by that much oil for at least 15K miles now.
So here are my questions:
1) What devices, sensors or parts should I expect to replace that are hosed now from the Oil blowing by my rings (whether Chevy pays for it or not)
2) As long as they have the heads and hope fully the pan off what parts should I have them replace on my own?
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Questions about factory recall for Excessive oil consumption .-p_20180309_154944_ll.jpg   Questions about factory recall for Excessive oil consumption .-p_20180308_104437_ll.jpg   Questions about factory recall for Excessive oil consumption .-p_20180308_104443_ll.jpg  

Last edited by Equinox2012; March 10th, 2018 at 7:11 PM. Reason: forgot info