Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

Cooling Fan Replacement

Search this Thread

Old October 5th, 2018, 3:41 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cooling Fan Replacement

Both cooling fans in my 2008 Equinox are bad (the big fan doesn't run - it has 14 volts to it and the small fan has shed all its blades). Has anyone had to change the fan assembly in this model? I've unhooked the fan wires and removed the two bolts at the top of the assembly. It looks like it doesn't want to come out either from the top or the bottom. Maybe someone has performed this replacement that could give some tips that would keep me from reinventing the wheel. I'm afraid that the radiator will have to come out and I don't want to do that unless it is necessary. Help please!
Old October 6th, 2018, 8:08 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Unfortunately, the service manual says removal of the front fascia and radiator is required to replace the cooling fan assembly.
Old October 7th, 2018, 11:21 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Out of desperation, I searched the videos on You Tube and found a video of a guy removing the cooling fan assembly from a 2007 Equinox. In addition to unplugging the fan wires and removing the bolts on either side of the fan assembly, he removed the air filter box with all of its assorted wires, the EGR valve pipe running to the exhaust manifold and pulled and tied-off the top radiator hose as far back as possible (the hose touches the fan assembly in operation.) Well it's out - the new one is supposed to arrive tomorrow. I'll let you know how the installation proceeds.
Old October 7th, 2018, 1:22 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by daverhea
Out of desperation, I searched the videos on You Tube and found a video of a guy removing the cooling fan assembly from a 2007 Equinox. In addition to unplugging the fan wires and removing the bolts on either side of the fan assembly, he removed the air filter box with all of its assorted wires, the EGR valve pipe running to the exhaust manifold and pulled and tied-off the top radiator hose as far back as possible (the hose touches the fan assembly in operation.) Well it's out - the new one is supposed to arrive tomorrow. I'll let you know how the installation proceeds.
Good to hear. The service manual has been wrong before with the Equinox. It also said that removing the steering column was required to replace the ignition switch. However, if you have a T20 torx bit and a 1/4" wrench (or a low profile bit driver), you only need to remove the upper & lower column plastic covers. A supposed three hour job only took 20 minutes.