Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

CV Axle 2005 Chevy Equinox

Search this Thread

Old April 18th, 2016, 12:13 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CV Axle 2005 Chevy Equinox - Awesome!

Thank you so much. I appreciate your assistance.
Old April 26th, 2016, 6:40 PM
CF Beginner

Default One more question relating to this

What if she already replaced the axle but it is the wrong size and it has been installed for awhile. Is there anything else that can be done to keep the axle from falling off? Thanks again.

Originally Posted by cakirk2016
Thank you so much. I appreciate your assistance.
Old April 26th, 2016, 11:18 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by cakirk2016
What if she already replaced the axle but it is the wrong size and it has been installed for awhile. Is there anything else that can be done to keep the axle from falling off? Thanks again.
There's really nothing you can do. The only solution is to install the correct axle.
Old April 27th, 2016, 9:32 PM
CF Beginner

Default Thanks

Thank you. I was hoping that wasn't the answer. Thanks again.
Old September 18th, 2016, 9:33 PM
CF Beginner

Default I have a AWD

My equinox is a AWD and it's the passenger side front, the mechanic says it's to short and the parts are not available. I wasn't told which boot was falling off. Will the ac delco part work for me and is it still available? Mechanic wants to weld it but I don't know how safe that is. Sorry if this doesn't make sense I don't know about car repairs. Are there any other questions I should ask the mechanic? Thankso for your assistance!!

Originally Posted by ruley73
Yours seems to be an isolated case for this issue. I've never heard of it before with the Equinox/Torrent.

Is your Equinox AWD or FWD? Which CV axle are you having trouble with? Which boot keeps separating (inner or outer)?

An educated guess is that the front passenger's side CV axle is the one you are having an issue with. I'm thinking that the previous owner replaced it. I suspect that when they did, they installed the wrong axle (too short) and stretched it to make it fit. The original setup used a shorter CV axle and an intermediate shaft at the front passenger side location. There is a replacement axle made by AC Delco (p/n 22718646) that is the correct length which replaces the original setup and allows you to remove the intermediate shaft setup.
Old September 19th, 2016, 10:06 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Gigi511
My equinox is a AWD and it's the passenger side front, the mechanic says it's to short and the parts are not available. I wasn't told which boot was falling off. Will the ac delco part work for me and is it still available? Mechanic wants to weld it but I don't know how safe that is. Sorry if this doesn't make sense I don't know about car repairs. Are there any other questions I should ask the mechanic? Thankso for your assistance!!
The correct part probably wasn't available from your mechanic's parts supplier. Since they couldn't get it, they told you that parts are not available. My guess is they didn't look too hard. The correct part for the front right axle of a 2007-2009 Equinox w/AWD and 3.4L engine is part number 25911621 made by AC Delco. I would order it from RockAuto and have your mechanic install it. A Chevy stealership can get it too, but it would be much be more expensive.

The CV axle design originally had a 2-piece setup with an intermediate shaft on 2007 model year vehicles built prior to 10/1/2006. Vehicles built after this used the longer CV halfshaft without an intermediate shaft. Vehicles that came with the 2-piece setup can remove the bracket and intermediate shaft and replace it with the longer axle.