Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

dang, power steering went out, fix suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old April 18th, 2012, 5:22 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dang, power steering went out, fix suggestions?

hi all,
my power steering went out yesterday. i had to drive it home without. i checked the 80A fuse, its good, and i tried a dead short with a screwdriver across the 80 amp fuse while my wife started the car, and its still out. i havent tried a computer reset yet. im going to do that, then find the unit under the dash in the steering column i suspect and pull it out and inspect and try to fix, clean, solder, repair whatever i can. is it a servo with switches? or what exactly is it?

i also checked the fuse with a test light of course, and its good on both ends before and after engine start.

dealer wants $380 for it, and i cant find it anywhere cheaper, including rock auto.

any suggestions for other posibilities?
Old April 19th, 2012, 8:45 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok, well i guess the answer didnt come in time for my first removal, im going to see what i can find. im guessing its under the dash as i traced the hot wire there. so im going to see how hard it is to remove. im also looking for a manual reference to remove it if anybody has any links.