Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta
Old August 7th, 2015, 7:41 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Driver's power window inoperative

Old July 5th, 2011, 9:15 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driver's power window inoperative

The driver's power window on my 2008 Equinox won't work. I checked the fuses and there is only one circuit breaker for all 4 windows, all the others work except mine. Then I pulled the back off the console and was able to disconnect the harness to the swithes. All 4 window switches are in one piece on the shifter console. I couldn't see a problem there, but I would like to replace the switch but don't know how to get it out. I also removed the door panel and the motor. At first the motor was balky but I oiled it and got it working in both directions. I reassembled everything but the window won't descend. Then a ran 2 wires from the battery directly to the window motor. The window went down and up. So I am more convinced my problem is the main switch. My question, is there something I am missing? If not, how do I get the switch out of the console. This is my first post.
Old July 6th, 2011, 5:43 PM
CF Active Member

Dude, I had the same problem with my 07 when I first got it and it was a broken wire in the door. Check where the wiring harness comes from the door pillar to the door. That's where mine was. A quick splice and some shrink tubing and all is well now. Hopefully that's all yours is. It sure sounds like a broken wire.
Old July 7th, 2011, 9:29 PM
CF Beginner

Chuzz,
Mine was 2 broken wires. Thanks for the tip.
Old July 12th, 2011, 7:40 AM
CF Active Member

You're welcome. I'm wondering if this is going to be a common problem for others too.
Old September 7th, 2011, 12:28 AM
CF Beginner

mine as well also had the same problem...broken wire...
Old March 18th, 2012, 2:11 PM
CF Beginner

Good call... I wish I would have checked here before tearing off the door panel, Local dealer wanted $300 to replace entire harness. Looks like this is a fairly common problem. Thanks for the tip!
Old May 12th, 2012, 1:50 PM
CF Beginner

Default Broken wires

Broken Wires in my 2008 Equinox.
Thanks for the tip! I was ready to replace my power window switch since the window quit working this winter. Over the last month the door speaker, the power mirror, even the turn signal sound (Which must come through the speaker) quit. I was puzzled untiul I read this thread. Four broken wires, and all of the others were well on their way. Very poor engineering on this wiring harness.

Last edited by Jim Vielbig; May 12th, 2012 at 1:53 PM.
Old July 11th, 2012, 6:24 PM
CF Beginner

Default 07 equinox window inop

thank you guys. broken wires
Old July 27th, 2012, 2:04 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:CustomDocumentProperties> <o:HTML dt:dt="boolean">1</o:HTML> <oocumentEncoding dt:dt="string">utf-8</oocumentEncoding> </o:CustomDocumentProperties> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Do you have any updates of your situation with your power windows in your Equinox?

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service assisting Louis
Old October 4th, 2012, 8:32 PM
CF Junior Member

Hi all. Im new here but will post some work done to my NOX.
first problem when i both the car was the drivers window! some times it was not working. after couple of month owning the car it stopped working at all. so i started to search in a internet for solution. but did not found any thing.
so i started to look by my self. i tot that its a problem with the motor. but when i dissembled the door and the motor was fine. so i started to look at the wire harness that goes from the door to the body. and i notesed that its very tight. so i opened the wire harness cover that is between the door and the body and there i so that.
Name:  7d06bc5a.jpg
Views: 8575
Size:  48.6 KB

all the wires was cracked and some broken. i went to the dealer and he asked me 200$ for that harness! :flipthebird:
so i went to the near by car shop. wallmart,canadian tire,......
and both there radio harness kit that had most wires.

and started to solder! i cuted the original harness in 2peaces. and soldered in the new wires in the place where its bending.
Name:  DSC_0301.jpg
Views: 11472
Size:  85.0 KB

assambled the door and whala! more than 3 years no problems!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Driver's power window inoperative