Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

Engine code 0420

Search this Thread

Old August 3rd, 2018, 10:35 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine code 0420

I have a 2011 equinox have been getting 0420 code . Changed O2 sensor twice also previously changed cat. Can’t seem to shake this problem. Had trimming chain problem last year after changing cat and changed engines also. This year still having some problems. Any suggestions?
Old August 3rd, 2018, 12:22 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Are you sure you installed the correct catcon? If you installed a Federal Emissions cat on a vehicle that came with California (or other state that's lower than Federal) Emissions, that's why the P0420 code persists.

Also, which brand of oxygen sensor did you install? I don't trust Boach, which is what most auto parts chains stock. I recommend AC Delco, NTK, Denso or Delphi.
Old August 3rd, 2018, 2:50 PM
CF Beginner

Yes installed correct cat I don’t need California emissions Car made in Canada I live in Louisiana. Last O2 sensor I bought was from NAPA don’t remember brand. Suppposedly OEM
Old August 3rd, 2018, 4:41 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by rbum
Yes installed correct cat I don’t need California emissions Car made in Canada I live in Louisiana. Last O2 sensor I bought was from NAPA don’t remember brand. Suppposedly OEM
I don't think you understand. Where you live, where the vehicle was sold, or where the vehicle is made doesn't determine whether or not your Equinox was made to comply with California Emissions standards.

You need to look at the option sticker located on the glove box door & visible when you open it and look for:

NT7 (Tier 2 Federal Emissions)
NU5 (California Emissions)
NU6 (PZEV California Emissions)

This will confirm which emissions standard your Equinox was made to comply with. Even though Louisiana obviously doesn't need to comply with California's emissions standards, your ECM is still programmed to comply with them. This is common with fleet vehicles. As far as I can tell after briefly researching this, all 2010+ Equinox comply with California standards.

Lastly, there are two cat cons on the Equinox. The downstream oxygen sensor is between them. The second cat doesn't affect the code (P0420) because it is not monitored with another oxygen sensor.
Old August 3rd, 2018, 8:44 PM
CF Beginner

Yes that Is the cat I changed and I will check into that. I’m going to look for the receipts . Thank you
Old August 5th, 2018, 1:58 PM
CF Beginner

Sticker say NT7 so I guess I’m good