Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

Equinox Traction Control Problems

Search this Thread

Old January 14th, 2008, 8:16 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Equinox Traction Control Problems

I purchased the '07 Equinox new from a local dealer. The vehicle is a LT3 model. I have had no problems with the vehicle until cold weather started this year. With temperatures below freezing, the ABS and traction fault indicator symbols come on and the information displays states that ABS is disabled, traction control as well as AWD.
I have taken it in to the dealer twice so far and no faults are recorded in the limited history of the control unit according to the technician. That alone makes diagnostics difficult at best. Theyy have performed firmware updates which were available, and suspose to correct the lost of cummunications between the modules of the 18 subsystems on the vehicle. All seemed good. that is until this morning, when the temperatures went down to 31 degrees F.
No ABS, no traction control, no AWD. Not a fun thing when there is snow and ice on the road. And we are forecasted for cold temps and more snow.
Has anyone out there experienced the same or simular shutdown of the ABS/AWD on this vehicle?
Old February 23rd, 2009, 3:11 PM
CF Beginner

Default Fed-up

Have a service stabilatrac light that keeps coming on & off intermittently. Which means its a wiring problem which is common to chevrolet for the past 30 or more years. Guess i just need to pull the bulb out, since i know no dealership will be able to fix a design problem ! And of course the computer diagnostics will all pass. Too bad i cant afford to trade it for a Nissan or Honda. Notice that i didn't include Toyota. They haven't been able to fix any trouble with the chevrolet vehicles i've owned. Does that tell anybody about GM ?
Old December 19th, 2010, 2:53 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by eddiencruizer7754
I purchased the '07 Equinox new from a local dealer. The vehicle is a LT3 model. I have had no problems with the vehicle until cold weather started this year. With temperatures below freezing, the ABS and traction fault indicator symbols come on and the information displays states that ABS is disabled, traction control as well as AWD.
I have taken it in to the dealer twice so far and no faults are recorded in the limited history of the control unit according to the technician. That alone makes diagnostics difficult at best. Theyy have performed firmware updates which were available, and suspose to correct the lost of cummunications between the modules of the 18 subsystems on the vehicle. All seemed good. that is until this morning, when the temperatures went down to 31 degrees F.
No ABS, no traction control, no AWD. Not a fun thing when there is snow and ice on the road. And we are forecasted for cold temps and more snow.
Has anyone out there experienced the same or simular shutdown of the ABS/AWD on this vehicle?
did you ever figure out what the problem was.... I'm having the very same issues.
Old February 3rd, 2011, 3:19 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by dmustang
did you ever figure out what the problem was.... I'm having the very same issues.
I am having the same issue with my 2008 AWD LS- Just started last week- did you ever find out what it was?
Old February 5th, 2011, 12:01 PM
CF Beginner

Default 07 equinox

The day before i took it into the dealer i figured id give it another shot, i dissconnected the battery as i had done a bunch of time before ... and no difference in the outcome. Took it to chevy at 8am with all the bells and whistles lit up and doing their thing. They called me at 1030 to say there was nothing wrong with it, and all they could find was a message of comunication failure between the computer and the transmission.....WTF !! Ran down there to have it out with them, long story short... they were right and it hasnt happened since! Sorry i cant help ya out but ya cant fix what isnt broke.
Old April 20th, 2012, 2:37 AM
CF Beginner

I have this problem with my 2011 Equinox LS. I'll describe what has happened here so maybe it will help someone else, but I'm looking into dumping this car because it is absolutely unacceptable. I didn't pay $30 grand to have the car not work when I most need it.

The StabiliTrack light flashes, then it goes into "limp mode" where the engine power is cut, so I have almost no ability to maneuver (extremely unsafe to drive). After a short period it will return the engine power. It may repeat this a number of times. The colder it is, the more often it goes into limp mode and the longer the power will be cut (up to a mile of dealing with this back and forth). Eventually StabiliTrack, All-wheel Drive, and the Anti-lock Brakes are all turned off. This occurs around -20F, so not as bad as the OP's 31F, but the car was basically not drivable all January. The temperature dropped to -50F this winter.

The dealership I bought it from (a Lithia) refuses to try and fix the vehicle. They would not reproduce the issue. I explained to them exactly what happens and what temperature this occurs at, but they immediately put it inside and warmed it up before driving. I went in to see if they have reproduced the problem and ended up talking to the service manager. He said, in the same minute or two of time, that cold weather issues were common and rare. He also said they would not fix the vehicle. He had not even seen the problem yet.

I made them put the vehicle back outside to cool back down, then returned two hours later and took the service manager with me. They took it back in and pulled information off of the car when all the lights were on. The computer reported something about the tires spinning. This makes no sense. I have certainly spun the tires before at icy intersections, and the car didn't suddenly start turning off systems. At -15F I do not have this problem, but by -20F I do (plugging it in makes no difference). I don't know what's wrong, but the car doesn't know what's going on.

I opened a case with the BBB and talked to someone from GM. I think it was a BBB representative, but I am a bit confused about whom they work for. I was told that they would talk to the dealership and make sure the dealership did everything possible (I told him they definitely didn't). That was in February and I haven't heard anything since.
Old April 20th, 2012, 10:07 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> randt4ever,

I'm sorry to hear of your frustrations with your Equinox vehicle. You stated that you have contact GM Customer Service regarding these issues. Could you PM me your Service Request number (SR#) so I can look into this further?

I look forward to your reply.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old February 8th, 2014, 5:20 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by dmustang
I am having the same issues as well so I am just wondering if you found out what the problem was?
Old March 20th, 2014, 12:45 PM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

Originally Posted by ozz68
I am having the same issues as well so I am just wondering if you found out what the problem was?
I'm having the same issue with my 08 please let me know if you was able to find out the problem thanks
Old March 22nd, 2014, 10:19 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Hello ozz68 and Buddy_s27,

I'm sorry to hear that you both are experiencing this problem with your vehicles. Please feel free to reach out to us if you need any extra assistance. We are just a private message away!

Kristen A.
Chevrolet Customer Care

Quick Reply: Equinox Traction Control Problems