Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

Front right brake pads keep; over heating and cracking

Search this Thread

Old June 1st, 2019, 6:04 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brake makes a clicking sound

why does my 2006 chevy equinox braking system makes a clicking sound when brakes are applied hard?

Last edited by atonjr; June 9th, 2019 at 9:37 AM. Reason: changed question
Old June 1st, 2019, 7:20 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by atonjr
I have a 2006 Chevy Equinox the front right brake pads keep; over heating and cracking. I put on new calibers and it still does it.
Caliper piston(s) might be stuck/corroded, but you changed it so that's pretty much out of the way. Might be a warped brake rotor, or something in the braking system is not allowing the caliper pistons to release properly.
Old June 1st, 2019, 7:28 AM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

I agree, replace the caliper
Old June 1st, 2019, 7:32 AM
CF Monarch

Received 336 Likes on 317 Posts

it is slightly possible that the rubber brake line to that caliper is bad and not letting the caliper fully release.
Old June 1st, 2019, 9:41 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Replace BOTH front brake hoses. They commonly rust around the mounting bracket. The rust builds up, crimps the hoses, and makes them work like a check valve. This causes the calipers to not release when they should. This problem is so common that I'd bet the hose was the problem all along on the right side, and I would not hesitate to replace the left one as a preventative measure.

Last edited by ruley73; June 1st, 2019 at 9:51 AM.
Old June 1st, 2019, 11:55 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

The inside of the hoses can also delaminate causing the check valve type of effect and the wear you are seeing.

Another thing to consider is the brake pad material. I switched to semi-metallic on my suburban and it started eating pads every 2 months on the driver side front. Stranger yet, it would eat the inside pad way faster than the outer. The passenger pads had normal wear. I switched back to ceramic which is the OEM material and have not had a single problem since.
Old June 1st, 2019, 8:14 PM
I'm here for the party

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by ruley73
Replace BOTH front brake hoses. They commonly rust around the mounting bracket. The rust builds up, crimps the hoses, and makes them work like a check valve. This causes the calipers to not release when they should. This problem is so common that I'd bet the hose was the problem all along on the right side, and I would not hesitate to replace the left one as a preventative measure.
x2 ive seen this a few times
Old June 3rd, 2019, 1:35 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree as this has happened to me