Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

Front Wheel Bearings

Search this Thread

Old August 8th, 2013, 9:23 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Wheel Bearings

I hear and feel a whine and vibration in my front end. I took the front wheels off and I can't feel any movement in the hub assembly. But I still think it is a wheel bearing. Can they still be bad even if you don't have any play. If not could it be a bad CV joint. And could you replace them with a wheel bearing that doesn't have the abs sensor. I have never liked abs brakes and the wheel bearing hub without abs is considerable cheaper. I'm really concerned about the traction control because it's on the same wiring harness. Thanks
Old August 9th, 2013, 9:08 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by 1969C20
I hear and feel a whine and vibration in my front end. I took the front wheels off and I can't feel any movement in the hub assembly. But I still think it is a wheel bearing. Can they still be bad even if you don't have any play.
Yes, and on newer vehicles this happens quite often: there is noise but no noticeable play.

If not could it be a bad CV joint.
It is possible, but a bad wheel bearing is much more likely.

And could you replace them with a wheel bearing that doesn't have the abs sensor. I have never liked abs brakes and the wheel bearing hub without abs is considerable cheaper. I'm really concerned about the traction control because it's on the same wiring harness. Thanks
Not all of the bearings come with a new sensor, so yes you could. However, your traction control and Stabili-Trak (if equipped) both use the ABS system to operate. So all of these features would be disabled if an ABS system fault is detected (such as a bad/missing/disconnected wheel speed sensor), and your dash will be lit up like a Christmas tree. I would suggest buying the Moog/National bearing that comes with the new sensor because there is a good chance you will damage the old sensor when removing it from the old bearing; especially if you live in the salt belt.

Last edited by ruley73; August 9th, 2013 at 9:25 AM.
Old June 2nd, 2015, 11:58 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default front wheel bearing

You can buy a new front wheel bearing for $50 and do it in an hour. DO NOT go to a dealer, they charged me $256.00 for the same part then another $150 labour. It was the kids car and she was at school 500 miles away. But running with the abs disconnected, is just annoying, it is easier to concede defeat, and compared to the airbag , well that is another kettle of fish
BTW you will hears guys whine about oh it's not as good as the factory bearing, so what $50 and an hour every 2 years ain't a big problem.

Last edited by srp204; June 3rd, 2015 at 12:01 AM.
Old December 23rd, 2015, 11:12 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no. get a helper. lift car off ground. have helper wiggle tire side-side up-down etc. set parking break if not on "real lift"

feel with hand where play is. steering rods? ball joint (may need pry-bar), bearing (you can SEE wheel move but nothing else will)

rotat tire freely. most bad bearing have a noise

perhaps dont go to dealer. just remember not to rush, and to google all "tricks", because if you damage (ie, the axle) your blowing your budget way otu the door and getting nothign for xmas
Old December 24th, 2015, 12:13 AM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

leave the tire on and check the hub again, the bearing has to be pretty trashed to feel any play by hand with the tire off, looks like the other guys covered most of what you should need to know
Old December 28th, 2015, 9:01 PM
CF Active Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Take a ride on hiway for 1/2 hr. Pull off and go around the car and feel the wheels. If 1 is hotter than the others,could be bearing. Check same wheel when getting home. Jack up wheel and spin by hand. If it spins freely,probably not brake problem but bearing going bad. Hope this helps.
Old December 29th, 2015, 9:04 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Instead of feeling the heat, get yourself one of those infrared temperature scanners. They are about $20 and you can find dozens of uses for it