Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta
Old July 22nd, 2015, 12:35 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

fuel guage intermittent - has anybody else had this problem?

Old March 24th, 2014, 7:36 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 07 Equinox Fuel Gauge Malfunctioning

My fuel gauge on my 07 Chevy Equinox is malfunctioning. It has been going all over the place for last 2 months on and off. It went from 3/4 of a tank to all the way on the other side of the gauge. It is getting on my nerves. And also my tire pressure sensors are that lets you know how many pounds are the tires are malfunctioning too. Could someone let me know whats going on or what I should do?
Old December 3rd, 2014, 8:28 AM
CF Beginner

Default Crazy Guages

The gauges in my 2008 Equinox are also acting crazy. The fuel gauge reads 3/4 tank but I only have 54 miles left. Since last night the RPM Gauge never goes down to zero even with the car turned off. The speedometer stays at 50 even at a stop light. And as of today the Temperature gauge is staying high. I am a single mom and this is very Scary. My Equinox only has around 60,000 miles on it and I make certain to keep it well maintained. HELP! Last 8 are: 86281575
Also, every once in a while my car tells me that stabilitrack is off however the little indicator on the gear shift console is lit as if it is on, and the lights on the area that indicate the passenger air bag status is now not coming on (just black). The panel also tells me to service my brakes. I had my brakes serviced recently at Firestone and the panel has told me that since then. I pulled into Firestone and had them check what was up. They checked the fluids and the light went off so I am assuming it was a tad low.

Last edited by Tamben21; December 3rd, 2014 at 9:37 AM.
Old December 3rd, 2014, 9:17 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Tamben21
The gauges in my 2008 Equinox are also acting crazy. The fuel gauge reads 3/4 tank but I only have 54 miles left. Since last night the RPM Gauge never goes down to zero even with the car turned off. The speedometer stays at 50 even at a stop light. And as of today the Temperature gauge is staying high. I am a single mom and this is very Scary. My Equinox only has around 60,000 miles on it and I make certain to keep it well maintained. HELP! Last 8 are: 86281575
Also, every once in a while my car tells me that stabilitrack is off however the little indicator on the gear shift console is lit as if it is on, and the lights on the area that indicate the passenger air bag status is now not coming on (just black). The panel also tells me to service my brakes. I had my brakes serviced recently at Firestone and the panel has told me that since then. I pulled into Firestone and had them check what was up. They checked the fluids and the light went off so I am assuming it was a tad low.
Others have had luck temporarily pulling related fuses to put a stop to the crazy gauges. You may even find that you have a blown fuse since the air bag indicator light isn't working. I would also remove the radio/HVAC bezel and disconnect/reconnect the plug going to the passenger air bag indicator. If you still have the factory-installed battery, it may need to be replaced.

The traction control button by the shifter doesn't contain an indicator light. It just has illumination that gets turned on with the dash lighting. FYI, the traction control can be turned off by pressing and holding that button for one second. You can also hold it for five seconds to disable the Stabilitrak. Both features are automatically re-enabled when the ignition key is cycled, unless a fault exists.
Old August 2nd, 2016, 12:05 AM
CF Beginner

my 07 equinox is doing the same thing. the only way I can correct it is if I turn the car on and off multiple times. I am getting about fed up with this. Clearly this is some thing going on with all of them and GM needs to be doing a recall
Old April 24th, 2017, 1:59 PM
CF Beginner

Default Gages

[Yes my gas and tem gages in my 07 equinox are more like a compass....pissing me off...need to diy...but cant find info to do it. Very dissapointed Chevy! !
UOTE=wolfdogg;206883]In my 2007 equinox the fuel guage has been doign wierd things lately. it is going higher than normal, to where then the tank is full it shows to be about 200% full, and when its near empty it swings down to about the 3/4 tank mark . Luckily, the range indicator is not affected, so when the guage is acting up, were depending on the range to decide how much gas is still in the tank. most of the time the guage appears fine, but then its having its bad days.

Im assuming its having voltage problems. Im guessing first hand that the tank might have a metal strap holding the tank in that is its ground, and needs cleaning. Otherwise, im suspecting somewhere along the wire harness that brings the lead from the tank to the dash a connection needs to be reseated. If not then what else could it be? I want to fix it.

has anybody has an issue with their fuel guage? theres almost 140k on the car now for comparison.[/QU
Old September 22nd, 2018, 11:51 AM
CF Beginner

Default Same problem plus

I have the same problem. First the fuel gauge stated acting up. Check engine light came on. Said to replace EGR valve and I had that done. Didn’t fix my issue and days later, still saying egr valve needs replacing. Months later, the temp gauge started acting up and the engine got/Ac off light came on and no ac. I then actually started having my engine run hot and the gauges weren’t working so I didn’t know. The alternator was so hot that the mechanic said it was melting the gaskets and rubber around it. That was replaced. Still having the gas and temp gauges acting crazy and check engine light on saying egr valve.
Old February 14th, 2019, 11:30 AM
CF Active Member

Does the range function on the Driver Information Center still appear to be accurate? If so, it is most likely a problem with the gauge instead of a sending unit. There are little motors on the back side of the instrument cluster that can go bad over time. I have had the same issue with my 07 Equinox and also the tach on my 05 Impala. For me the issue seems to start when the weather gets cold. I'm currently not willing to pay to fix it as it is mostly an annoyance currently, I just drive around with the range functure showing on my dash.
Old February 16th, 2019, 8:41 PM
CF Beginner

Default Same problem w/fuel & temp gauge not working.

The Range indicator seems to be correct. I have been relying on the Range for fuel level for all but the first 2 years. My dealer says it is a common problem with the gauges in the console. The console must be removed to fix it and it is very labor intensive=costly. He said most people don't get it fixed and rely on the Range gauge for fuel and the Temp indicator light to show temperature problem.
Has anyone had the gauges fixed/replaced?
Interested in the costs.
Thanks for any info you can provide.
Old October 20th, 2019, 3:36 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by wolfdogg
well the fuel guage is still at it, and we recently had the power assist go out for 2-3 months to where only i would drive it, and i wouldnt let my wife drive it since the steering was too hard for her. A year earlier after used purchase we had it in the dealer (Rancho Motors, Victorville) where they said they "readjusted" it. They should have replaced it.

Now i notice the outdoor temp sensor appears off where it said 59 Deg. one morning, then after we went to town and the sun was out in full on return a couple hours later it still said 59 Deg. So it appears something is not right in either the computer, some connection(since the outdoor temp was working, and just wrong i dont think that was a connection) and we were having problems with out steering assist, i would guess these problems tie together.

is there anybody here that has experienced these problems or has any suggestions?
I have a 2016 Equinox and the Fuel Guage does Not read Full when the tank is filled up. They Replaced the Fuel Guage, stating that it was Faulty. Still had the persistent problem. They tested the sending units and they were working just fine. They Dropped the tank and stated that the float was interfering with the tank fill neck and made a MINOR ADJUSTMENT... Whatever that means. Immediately drove 50 miles and the Guage dropped 3/8 of a tank. Needless to say I got a Case of the *** and went off the management. They are now going over the car with a fine tooth comb, So they say. A mechanic friend of mine thinks it is Most Likely due to a loose ground or contact or some sort of coroaded wiring... I'm Still waiting to hear back from the Service Manager! It's been 2 weeks now that they have been going all over it... The last I heard they were resetting the Programming. Like that is going to Solve It...