Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta
Old July 22nd, 2015, 12:35 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

fuel guage intermittent - has anybody else had this problem?

Search this Thread

Old February 28th, 2013, 10:12 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 07 equinox has begun to do the same thing. I initially thought it was the gas cap letting in air. How was your problem resolved?

Thanks in advance.

Originally Posted by wolfdogg
In my 2007 equinox the fuel guage has been doign wierd things lately. it is going higher than normal, to where then the tank is full it shows to be about 200% full, and when its near empty it swings down to about the 3/4 tank mark . Luckily, the range indicator is not affected, so when the guage is acting up, were depending on the range to decide how much gas is still in the tank. most of the time the guage appears fine, but then its having its bad days.

Im assuming its having voltage problems. Im guessing first hand that the tank might have a metal strap holding the tank in that is its ground, and needs cleaning. Otherwise, im suspecting somewhere along the wire harness that brings the lead from the tank to the dash a connection needs to be reseated. If not then what else could it be? I want to fix it.

has anybody has an issue with their fuel guage? theres almost 140k on the car now for comparison.
Old March 1st, 2013, 10:53 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

famu97,

Welcome to the forum! Hopefully you get more insight from wolfdogg soon. If you have questions about warranty information, recalls, or working with a dealership, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Sarah (Assisting Louis), Chevrolet Customer Service
Old March 18th, 2013, 5:21 PM
CF Junior Member

i have had no resolution,
its alot cheaper for me to just "DEAL" with it. it frustrates me not to have a working fuel guage. if it werent for the "range" setting, i wouldnt know how much gas i have.

The guage shows anywhere from negative 200% (somewhere near the 10-o-clock position), to way way overfull(somewhere near the 7-o-clock position) on any given day. it is NEVER correct. There is a recall on the fuel pump, ours sprung a leak for about a month was a major firehazard. I fixed that problem myself by removing the pump assembly, drilling it, tapping it, thread tape, and putting in a new brass fitting, clamping on the line. Im hoping that we will get our personal recall notice for this since its been on recall for a long time now believe.

once i get a recall notice, ill take it in and have them fix the guage problem as well.

Last edited by wolfdogg; March 18th, 2013 at 5:29 PM.
Old March 18th, 2013, 10:26 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

The recall (ID# 12V459000) associated with this problem is very limited, and only impacts 40,859 vehicles that were sold or are currently registered in a few states. Here are a couple links with the details.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/..._ids=12V459000

Recalls: 2007-2009 Chevrolet Cobalt, Equinox Fuel Pump; 2012 Nissan Frontier, Pathfinder Wheel Hub - WOT on Motor Trend
Old March 19th, 2013, 1:02 PM
Official GM Rep

Originally Posted by wolfdogg
i have had no resolution,
its alot cheaper for me to just "DEAL" with it. it frustrates me not to have a working fuel guage. if it werent for the "range" setting, i wouldnt know how much gas i have.

The guage shows anywhere from negative 200% (somewhere near the 10-o-clock position), to way way overfull(somewhere near the 7-o-clock position) on any given day. it is NEVER correct. There is a recall on the fuel pump, ours sprung a leak for about a month was a major firehazard. I fixed that problem myself by removing the pump assembly, drilling it, tapping it, thread tape, and putting in a new brass fitting, clamping on the line. Im hoping that we will get our personal recall notice for this since its been on recall for a long time now believe.

once i get a recall notice, ill take it in and have them fix the guage problem as well.
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> wolfdogg,

I am sorry you are experiencing this issue. I would be happy to check recall information on your vehicle. If you would like me to proceed, please PM me your VIN.

I look forward to your reply.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old April 8th, 2013, 5:53 AM
CF Beginner

Hello I'm having the same fuel gauge problem for about 6 months. Can you help me?
VIN: 084264
Old April 11th, 2013, 2:04 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
I am sorry you are experiencing this issue. I would be happy to check recall information on your vehicle. If you would like me to proceed, please PM me your VIN.

I look forward to your reply.

Louis
GM Customer Service
I sent you my vin as well (PM), look forward to your reply, thanks
Old April 11th, 2013, 6:03 PM
Official GM Rep

Originally Posted by jcantu4mty
Hello I'm having the same fuel gauge problem for about 6 months. Can you help me?
VIN: 084264
Could you provide at least the last 8 digits of your VIN to me?

Thanks,

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old August 18th, 2013, 3:57 PM
CF Beginner

Default New here and having the same fuel gauge issue

I also have a 2007 Equinox and am having the same fuel gauge issue.

My last 8 digits of my VIN# are as follows:

We have had this problem for nearly 1 year and now my wife tells me the temp gauge has acted up on her a few times as well.

Seems there is a common problem on this vehicle.
It'd be nice if GM addressed the issue.

Any help would be appreciated.

dave_injersey@yahoo.com
Old August 19th, 2013, 3:36 PM
Official GM Rep

Originally Posted by jerseydave
I also have a 2007 Equinox and am having the same fuel gauge issue.

My last 8 digits of my VIN# are as follows:

We have had this problem for nearly 1 year and now my wife tells me the temp gauge has acted up on her a few times as well.

Seems there is a common problem on this vehicle.
It'd be nice if GM addressed the issue.

Any help would be appreciated.

dave_injersey@yahoo.com
Hi Dave,

Thanks for making us aware of this problem and I'm sorry that you are experiencing this issue. I looked up your vehicle information, and there are no recalls or bulletins for your vehicle concerning the fuel gauge. We do rely on the dealerships to diagnose and correct any vehicle issues. Have you had the chance to speak with them about this? If not, I'd be more than happy to connect you with a dealer in your area to have this problem addressed.

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care

Quick Reply: fuel guage intermittent - has anybody else had this problem?