Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

Head Gasket Replacement On 3.4

Search this Thread

Old November 20th, 2012, 6:23 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head Gasket Replacement On 3.4

Good morning, my daughter in law has a blown head gasket on her 2005 Equinox. For all intents and purposes this looks like a pretty straight forward job.

Has anyone done this job before? If we take it on vs. spending the money to have a shop do it we have a very short window. Any help on what tools, what parts (if anything beyond the gasket set) and so for that we would need would be great. I want to have everything lined up so I am not spending half of my time running to town and back.

Anyone have a procedure doc on this?

I think the good news is, this seems like a pretty traditional V6 configuration. Cam shaft is in the "right" spot, no timing belts to mess with, etc.

Anything anyone can provide for information would be greatly appreciated.
Old January 9th, 2013, 8:22 AM
CF Beginner

It's not a difficult job, but care needs to be taken in making sure the heads are true (not warped) and that the failure point was in fact a gasket, and not a defect in a head or the block. The 3.4 is an easy engine to work on, but getting to exhaust manifold bolts on the rear head can be trying. Use good gaskets and a manual with proper torque values as well as a good torque wrench are a must. I'd also recommend having the radiator cleaned/flushed and replacing a thermostat/gasket at the same time.
Old January 18th, 2013, 11:49 AM
CF Junior Member

the guy is a pro!