Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

HELP! equinox overheating extreme

Search this Thread

Old June 25th, 2017, 1:18 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! equinox overheating extreme

in march my car overheated so bad that my coolant boiled, it went into low power mode and I had to replace and clean basically the entire system...new gaskets, new radiator, new thermostat...you name it, its pretty much new. a couple weeks ago i noticed that while sitting in a drive through the car would overheat again, but this time the fans come on to cool it off (this did not happen before). I posted in the forum because im a paranoid person and everyone said the car sounded fine.

well tonight in the drive through the fans came on, the car did not cool down. it reached the 3rd line. it never reaches the 3rd line. I thought maybe the car needed water. so i got home, called out my 17 yr old mechanic brother and asked him to get a flashlight. while he was doing that i started unscrewing the cap to the coolant tank. It started overflowing and then blew off releasing steam and water all over the place, essentially draining the engine. we let it cool off a little bit and then filled it back up, overlooked the whole engine and things seem to be looking fine.

where do i go from here because things are obviously not fine
Old June 25th, 2017, 2:33 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

In your other thread you mentioned that you just had water in the cooling system. If this is still the case, that's why the engine is running so hot. Also, get a new coolant lid installed if you haven't done so already.

You should NEVER open the coolant lid after the engine is warmed up. This is very dangerous. Always wait for the engine to cool off first.
Old June 29th, 2017, 12:12 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You may have air trapped in the water jacket by the temp sensor after the first over heating issue. There may be a bleeder screw in your thermostat housing. Bleed the air out and make sure the system is full of coolant. If the gauge still reads hot, use a infrared thermometer to check the actual temp at the thermostat housing after the engine has warmed up. If the gauge does not correspond with the infrared thermometer, you may need a new temp sensor.