Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

How to disable onstar on 2012 Equinox

Search this Thread

Old March 2nd, 2013, 3:03 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to disable onstar on 2012 Equinox

Just purchased a 2012 for my wife, seems to be a great vehicle for her. I was told by my insurance agent ( a long time friend) that I need to disable the system since the information is being sold to insurance companys and it will affect you rate if your not driving like a 80 year old. I searched google and one site told me this procedure:

start by removing 3 screw holding in the dash plate under the steering column
pull forward on the front dash cover to release
lower cover is attached with two push-in clips in the front. 1 metric 10 bolt in the back and two expansion plugs on the right side
the expansion plus are two parts. look for a small notch in the exposed plug then remove the inside core of the plug and once that is remove the remainder of the plug should be removable easily.
once the first plug is removed you will see the second plug just behind the first one.
once the bottom plate is removed I also recommend you remove the metal plate from below the steering wheel with the 4 metric 10 bolts
once you have all these covers removed you should see the VCIM right above the accelerator pedal. it is the device with the two thick wires.
it is impossible to get to the connectors without removing the module. there are only two metric 10 bolts that hold the device in place and both are visible and rather simple to remove
once those bolt are remove the VCIM should pull out without any issue. you can remove the two antenna wires by inserting a flathead screw drive into the locking device and pull. the red and blue are simple to remove by pushing in the locking clip. you can wrap up the antenna wires and put aside. the vcim does not need to go back in the car.
attach the red and blue connector to the and wire tie the device to the center console post with the USB connector facing forward and down so when you put everything back together you will have access to the plug.

I followed this except I have only one antenna cable going into the box and I dont know what is meant by "bluestar". I started the vehicle with the box disconnected and the came on, I put it all back the way it was but light is still on, going over to a freinds to see what the code reveals. I am no expert on these cars but have built high end desert race cars, street rods and harleys for over 36 years.
I would really appreciate any help to disconnect this. I was going to just remove a but there is no fuse labeled "VCIM".

Last edited by mike bruder; March 2nd, 2013 at 3:06 PM.