Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2018 Equinox Onstar Issues

Search this Thread

Old April 11th, 2017, 4:27 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2018 Equinox Onstar Issues

I picked up a 2018 Equinox on 3/13/17 . Tried to store phone numbers in the ONstar hands free ,it gives me the weather .Called ONstar they told me try the word save instead of store ,it asks to make a call . Directory ,asks to make a call ,Virtual adviser ,traffic .
Ask for the weather ( had it until the 1st trip to the dealer ) try again later .
Onstar said take it to the dealer ,dealer said they talked to GM techs ,told nothing is wrong .
My cell phone contacts will automatically transfer to the Onstar hands free .
Back to Onstar ,got my cell ,and called tech support ,transferring from cell to Onstar is Impossible . 4 people at Onstar ,said take to to the dealer .
Dealer has now had it 7 days ,waiting for a call from GM tech support .
Anyone else have this issue ?
Thanks
Old March 2nd, 2018, 6:31 PM
CF Beginner

I picked up my new 2018 Equinox about a week ago. I’m having the same problem with OnStar voice commands. In particular the “Store” command doesn’t work. It usually gives me the weather, sometimes navigation cancel, sometimes call or dial, but almost never “Store”. Just about every other word and number I’ve tried seem to mostly work (not perfectly). I’ve tried pronouncing it a dozen different way but none have worked. Anyway, “Store” doesn’t work here either. Since I have a lousy memory for numbers, the OnStar calling feature is virtually useless to me as is.

I spent about 45 minutes on the phone with OnStar today and, while he tried to be helpful, he was completely clueless about where the problem might be, or what to do about it. Like others he finally gave up and told me to take it do the dealership. Obviously useless advice. The problem clearly lies with OnStar voice recognition. I don’t need to sit at the dealership for a couple of hours only to be told it ain’t a hardware problem.
Old March 2nd, 2018, 7:17 PM
CF Beginner

I asked my wife to try it and her voice doesn't work either. Every word works except "Store", so it's not just my voice.

It is beyond disappointing that this problem was first reported on another Equinox almost a year ago, and OnStar has done nothing about it in all that time.

Last edited by bachastain; March 2nd, 2018 at 7:23 PM. Reason: Edit
Old March 3rd, 2018, 4:06 AM
CF Beginner

Dealer had it for 17 days ,it is not a voice recognition. issue . Onstar updated the software on this version and some functions are no longer available .Even my manual is wrong
Old March 3rd, 2018, 6:46 AM
CF Beginner

Default Storeless

We recently also bought a 2017 Colorado Z71 truck. I tried Store on that and it work perfectly on the truck.

When you press the white OnStar button on the Colorado, it says "OnStar Ready" and displays a menu of the things you can do on the screen. On the Colorado, that menu includes a button for the Store function. The menu on my Equinox does NOT have Store in the menu so the menu has 1 fewer choices. Since the Colorado works perfectly and the Equinox doesn't even have Store in the menu, I have to conclude that the removal of the Store function in my Equinox is entirely intentional.

It would have been so much easier if someone at OnStar would have just admitted that the removal of Store was done on purpose. As you said, it's not a voice recognition problem. It's a feature problem. For some bizarre reason Chevy purposely removed the Store feature.

And without the Store function calling it Hands Free is really a lie. Now I have to kept a phone directory in my car with all my phone numbers on it, so it will never be Hands Free for me.
Old March 3rd, 2018, 7:30 AM
CF Beginner

I am not happy about it either

The 2018's have different software .I also have a 2017 Malibu ,works fine in that . I sure dont agree with it but thats the way they are now .Not even a Chevy issue its onstar .
If onstar told you to take it to the dealer ,make sure you get compensated for your time and loss of use
Old March 9th, 2018, 11:35 AM
CF Beginner

Default Store function removed on purpose

I just got a response for my inquiry as to whether I can expect my 2018 Equinox Premier AWD 2.0L to have the OnStar Store function to maintain a hands-free phone book for dialing. Answer: No.

"Hi, Bruce. After further review, we can confirm that this option has been removed and Members are unable to store phone numbers for their Hands-Free Calling feature. We understand any feelings of frustration this may have caused, as this was not the answer you were hoping to hear. Our team has made sure to document your feedback for review, which will be available to review by the appropriate parties. If you have any additional questions or concerns, please let us know. "

No explanation given for why it was removed.
Old March 12th, 2018, 7:24 PM
CF Beginner

Typical response. Sadly.