Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta
Old July 29th, 2015, 2:26 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Wheels and Tires
Print Wikipost

Key getting stuck in ignition?

Search this Thread

Old March 9th, 2014, 12:05 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Might want to give this a read...
Feds reportedly failed to investigate reports of GM vehicle shutdowns | Fox News
Old March 17th, 2014, 1:25 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much did it cost to remove the solenoid? I already spent $300 on a new starter, which the tech said would fix the problem
Old March 17th, 2014, 1:27 PM
CF Beginner

This is a VERY common problem with the 2007 Equinox, as well as other Chevy vehicles. I'd like to know why there has been no action taken regarding this problem and why the owner has to pay for a problem that is clearly a manufacturers defect.
Old March 17th, 2014, 1:32 PM
CF Beginner

This is NOT a lubrication issue. This problem is all over the place. There is a problem somewhere in the connection between the shift and the ignition. I've seen one person replace the solenoid, another a defective switch in the shifter. My dealer told me I needed a new starter. $300 later and still having the problem!
Old April 26th, 2014, 11:52 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pamt523
My problem trying to remove the key but the the ignition won't turn all the way to remove the key. Sometimes I have to sit and wait and hear a little click sound and I can turn they key far enough to remove. I've had it with this problem and when I talked to a dealer about it, he had never heard of it before, so I was hoping to get some info give them as a starting poiint. I have a 2008 Equinox.

I have a 2007 and It happen the same to me for a long time.. and the Dealer say the same "I never heard before"./... I think that It have a general Issue from Chevrolet... WHY THEY DONT MADE A RECALL..............
\
Viera
Old April 26th, 2014, 11:54 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LSchmitz
This is NOT a lubrication issue. This problem is all over the place. There is a problem somewhere in the connection between the shift and the ignition. I've seen one person replace the solenoid, another a defective switch in the shifter. My dealer told me I needed a new starter. $300 later and still having the problem!
THEY DON'T KNOW WHAT HAPPEN.... Chevrolet have to do something.. I have a 2007 and its the same...

Viera
Old April 26th, 2014, 6:26 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

sometimes stomping on the brake pedal repeatedly (which activates the shift lock solenoid), then wiggling the shifter will free the key up.
Old May 19th, 2014, 9:54 PM
CF Beginner

Can you tell me about what it cost you to have this replaced Do you think this is something anyone can do
Old May 20th, 2014, 10:50 AM
CF Beginner

Default Key getting stuck

My problem was the shift sensor that they replaced. (Fortunately I had an extended warranty which covered the repair.) Problem was solved.
Old May 20th, 2014, 2:55 PM
CF Beginner

I have had this issue for three years. Mine will always turn off, but the key won't come out. I do NOT think this is a lubrication issue. I have a 2008 LT with 90,000 miles. This started about 20,000 miles. The only thing on the key ring is the fob.

The GMC dealer has tried to recreate the problem, but it never gets stuck when the car is in the dealership. My steering wheel will lock up, too. When I told them this, they said that the steering wheels no longer lock while in park. Sure enough, it's only when the key is stuck. Typically, the quickest way to get the key out is to turn the engine back on, let the dash needles do their all the way to the right and back down maneuver. then smoothly shut it off.

This is a serious safety issue!!!! I would recommend anyone with this problem to reprogram their car so that the doors do NOT unlock until you remove the key. That way, if you are in a dark parking lot and turn off the car, the doors remain locked. Otherwise, while you are jacking with the key, some bad person could come up and rob you (or worse).

Chevy! Where are you!! I've been a devoted Chevy fan since 1978....

Quick Reply: Key getting stuck in ignition?