Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta
Old July 29th, 2015, 2:26 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Wheels and Tires
Print Wikipost

Key getting stuck in ignition?

Old December 17th, 2014, 4:30 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by dhuba
My young niece has a 2012 Captiva and three times the dealer has fixed the ignition problem and three times in the last few months it has been back in the shop after not starting and the keys being stuck in the ignition. Last night she picked it up again, after they said it was fixed, and this morning it wouldn't start and the keys are stuck again. Why isn't there a fix for this? She has a 2 month old baby and is so afraid that she is going to get stuck somewhere in the dead of winter with a car that won't start. I thought ignition problems where from earlier year vehicles. Seems just crazy that a dealer can't fix it. I would understand if it was a private ownership mechanic, but the dealer, really?? By the way, each time she has taken it in, it's still under warranty, they have it for a few WEEKS, but they do give her a nice vehicle to drive, thank goodness.
Hi there,

We can certainly understand how frustrating this may seem, and we would be happy to look into this further on her behalf. She is more than welcome to send us an e-mail at socialmedia@gm.com along with her information for additional assistance. We look forward to hearing from her!

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old January 28th, 2015, 12:41 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stuck key in the ignition

I am very late at posting this article, but maybe someone will come across this issue and I have the perfect solution.

I agree with the earlier post that chevy should have recalled this problem a long time ago. I have a family of 3 and being stranded in -20 degree weather because the key is stuck in the ignition puts the icing on top of the cake for me to NEVER buy chevy again.

Everyone may have a different issue, but mine is frustration free and quick. Invest in jumper cables.
I have a portable jump pack, but I only use the cables for this problem.
Put the red clamp on red, black on black.
Thats all. Your car should turn on and you can take your key out and be on your way. Thank you Chevy for another inconvenience.
Old February 8th, 2015, 8:15 PM
CF Beginner

Default key stuck in ignition

I just purchased this 2012 Equinox 2 days ago from a dealer. It has 58,000 miles on it. Today the key got stuck in the iqnition. I jiggled the key, the shifter, the steering wheel, everything but no luck. Finally after driving the car for an additional 15 minutes I stopped at a convenience store. When I turned the iqnition off this time...Voila! no problem. It slipped out as easy as pie.

After just purchasing this car and reading this forum about the problem and lack of manufacturers response I am worried about this issue. I will take it back to the dealer in the morning to see what they have to say about it.
I have no desire to take money out of my pocket to fix a car I just bought 2 days ago.

Thanks to those that have posted about this problem previously.
Old February 12th, 2015, 1:02 AM
CF Beginner

Default 2007 Chevy Equinox LT

I have the same issue as everyone else in this forum. I from time to time cannot get my key out of the ignition. It started a long time ago and just have been living with it since. Chevy has really done a disservice to there loyal customers. I can't afford to take it to the dealer for all the issues I have had with my Equinox. I am out of warranty and my latest issue is what is looking to be my transmission. I submitted a complaint in to the NHTSA a government website about the key issue but nothing has been done. Nor, I think it will ever get resolved. I will probably will never buy a Chevy again and it is sad that we have to go outside our country to get a quality car. All, I tell people is to complain through any avenue you have to get resolution because if you don't voice it and loud enough. It won't be heard.
Old March 10th, 2015, 10:57 AM
CF Beginner

I have a 2007 Chevrolet Equinox and have the same problem. Sometimes I have will have a terrible time getting the key out of the ignition and hear a clicking noise. I have to wait until it clicks and then the key comes out. I was wondering if there is a recall for this problem. I actually ran into a person with a 2005 Equinox last night at the store and he asked me if I had a problem with the ignition/key sticking and I was so surprised by his question and said yes I did. He said there was a recall on this problem and he just got his fixed. I have not received any information on this recall. Has anybody else heard of one?? Thanks
Old April 23rd, 2015, 9:13 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2007 Chevy Equinox

I am having the SAME issues as everyone else. Just bought this vehicle less than a month ago and I am having trouble with the key getting stuck after turning off the vehicle. I can't get the key to release after a few minutes the key will finally come out of the ignition. I have only had this happen a few times but I have only had the vehicle for 3 weeks. This is really upsetting, and now I find out this is an ongoing problem for these vehicles. I would like to know....is there a recall? If so what can I do to resolve this issue. I don't want to wait until this problem leaves me stranded somewhere. HELP!!!! PLEASE!!! Uhg!!!
Old June 10th, 2015, 11:01 AM
CF Beginner

Default Key hard to turn

Hello, we have a 2006 Chevy Equinox LT. My wife inserts her key, but sometimes it will not turn. I have had to go out and help her by taking key out, reinserting, pushing in on key, then turning, it will turn about halfway, then it feels like its catching on something, and I can turn a little harder and push past the catch and the car will start fine. When turning off the car, there are no issues with the key getting stuck in ignition, just the issue with the starting process. This just started yesterday.
Old June 10th, 2015, 11:58 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by dtoelle
Hello, we have a 2006 Chevy Equinox LT. My wife inserts her key, but sometimes it will not turn. I have had to go out and help her by taking key out, reinserting, pushing in on key, then turning, it will turn about halfway, then it feels like its catching on something, and I can turn a little harder and push past the catch and the car will start fine. When turning off the car, there are no issues with the key getting stuck in ignition, just the issue with the starting process. This just started yesterday.
Have you brought this to the attention of your dealership, dtoelle? A diagnosis is the first step in determining the cause of the key getting stuck. If you'd like, we'll gladly research your VIN and mileage and we will see what we can find. Please send us a private message if interested.

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old July 1st, 2015, 11:40 AM
CF Beginner

Default Key is stuck in the ignition / wont start

My husband restarted the battery. In doing so, the car would not turn over, nor the key would not come out ignition. The radio will turn on, and front lights but that is it. We had a mechanic look at it and he thought all the fuses looked fine, we replaced the battery and the code machine will not work. Have you guys ever ran in to this before? Thanks a bunch
Old August 12th, 2015, 8:46 PM
CF Beginner

Lightbulb 2007 Chevy Equinox - problems

Hello everyone - I have had a host of problems with mine that started before I ever hit 50k I should have known then. I still have the car it now has 93k on it first the check engine light has a mind of its own n if the gas cap isn't on right the light comes on n then good luck getting it to go out unless you have 500 to replace a small part of course or the fact that you put the car in park and the whole console comes out? Another 500. Maintenance really??? Ok n yes the whole key sticking thing.....then get the car back backing wierd nose battery dies after 3 wks. Battery was brand new the day the console came out and oh imagine 110 weather, key is stuck car will not turn off n looking at the console. Now imagine that you are a women alone having to figure out what to do !!! Basically unhooked the battery. The brand new battery. There have been no recalls on any of this why? N s it fixed in the newer ones? I for one never want a Chevy again.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Key getting stuck in ignition?