Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta
Old July 29th, 2015, 2:26 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Wheels and Tires
Print Wikipost

Key getting stuck in ignition?

Search this Thread

Old June 21st, 2017, 1:49 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been researching why my wifes key keeps getting stuck in the ignition of our 2012 Equinox for about a year now. I was told by the dealership that we needed to replicate the issue for them to look at it, and of course it has only been happening on very random occasions. Finally, the key got stuck for good and drained the battery. I got it towed to the dealership, so they got what they asked for with it happening while they looked at it. About 4 days later, they called me back and said it's about a $950 job to do (the shifter assembly). I find it extremely hard to believe that after this happening for a year, and all the comments on this thread, there is no resolution from Chevy for why this is happening. Not to mention, $950 seems outrageous, especially with what some others have said on this thread as well. Extremely disappointed in Chevy and how their dealerships have handled this issue with no recall or warranty that covers this.
Old July 5th, 2017, 12:34 PM
CF Beginner

Found an free, easy solution - not a fix but still.
I could not get the plastic cover all the way off but got the back side enough so I could get a wooden pencil in and held the lever (switch) down. Worked like a charm. Not sure why it is sticking (something isn't communicating that the car is in park) or what the permanent solution is. Did you take it to be fixed?
Reading online seems maybe Chevy has widespread problem with ignition issues...
Old October 14th, 2017, 7:23 PM
CF Beginner

Hello I am new to this forum and am having the same issue as alot of people are having with key getting stuck in the ignition. I can take it out by pressing a button underneath the console with a screw driver but i would like to see a fix for it. Been spending alot of time and havent really seen a fix beside a youtube video that does something similar to what you have mentioned and I believe that might be the correct steps. here is the link to the video. I was wondering if you still have the video to what you did that would save me $$ and time.

the only catch is it could be safety issue and I am concerned about it and would like your input.

Thanking you in advance
Old October 31st, 2017, 5:18 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2012 Chevy Captiva

Every tune I drive, when I’m ready to get out of my car, the key gets stuck in the ignition. There is no way for anything- coins- to slide down into the gear shift area. I have tried parking break, keeping my foot on the break, turning the wheel, it took me over 2 hours last night to get the key out. What the heck is going on?!
Old December 9th, 2017, 3:19 PM
CF Beginner

Default Key stuck fix?

so i have a 2012 chevy sonic ltz the jey was stuck in th ignition searched the web for a fix but nothing seems to be fixing it i finally figured out what my problem was maybe it will help

all it was for me was that my shifter **** button wasnt fully released it was partially stuck so i took a blade nd jst pushed the button out and could then remove my key i hope this helps 😬
Old January 18th, 2018, 9:41 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2014 Camaro more than 100000 miles

The key getting stuck in the ignition ignition just started about a week ago reading through this thread not really sure what the problem is but I'm outside of my warranty and I don't want to spend an arm and a leg to get something fixed if it's a defect than GM should be fixing can anyone help me with this problem?
Old February 15th, 2018, 9:10 AM
CF Beginner

Default 2012 Captiva Key getting stuck in ignition

For the last year I've been dealing with this issue and of course it never does it when I take it to the Chevy dealership.
This last week it has been getting worse. 3 times it has take up to an hour to get the key out. It wont turn past accessories and then ends up draining the battery. I travel for work and am worried I am going to get stranded.
Has anyone found a sure fix for this? The Chevy dealership said its a roulette game and want to try replacing a long list of things. I don't want to be sticking $900+ to fix this issue which Chevy is well aware of by looking at all the people that have this issue. The dealership acts like it has never heard of a Chevy vehicle doing this and wasnt very helpful besides wanting to charfe $200 to put it on a computer which I already did 6 months ago and they didn't find anything.
I have tried all the little tips and hints and they work sometimes but not all the time
Chevy it would be really nice if you would "man up" and take care of this issue!
​​
Old March 8th, 2018, 5:22 PM
CF Beginner

Default Omg ThankYou

Originally Posted by ruley73
I had this problem a couple months ago. It turned out to be a dime that fell into the shifter slot in front of the shifter. This prevented the shifter from going all the way forward, which in turn prevented the key from being able to be turned to the OFF position because of the shifter & key interlock feature.

Before causing unnecessary and costly damage by trying to rip the key out without first turning the key to the OFF position, with the engine turned off try engaging the parking brake (to prevent the vehicle from moving), then drop the shifter into L and observe the shifter slot for any obstructions (like the dime that I mentioned earlier in my case), then give it a firm shove into Park. It worked for me and I haven't had the problem since.
thankyou soooooo much those obstructions (coins, skittles etc) As soon as you mentioned the coins in the gearshift slot, a vision pasted in my mind of seeing a hand full of spare change explode From my grasp all over that area of the car a couple days ago. So I searched the area wiggled stuff around took it out of gear like you said, and pushed it back up into park , Sure enough something came loose and it completely went into park and I was able to remove the key turning it back to the position where it comes out of the ignition I cannot tell you how thankful I am to find this out. I am guilty of putting spare change in the area above the gearshift I will be restructuring where I store change!
thx again

Last edited by Rosanna M Pryor; March 8th, 2018 at 5:27 PM.
Old November 17th, 2018, 3:06 PM
CF Beginner

Default Same problem, have had solenoid replaced and shifter by certified tech, defective

Hello Luis ,
i have had this problem for a while now . On June 1, 2018, I took my vehicle to a Chevrolet dealer and after having 3 different services provided (first they said it was corrosion around the shifter , then they said it was the solenoid, then they said it was the shifter ). They did all three and put brand new parts (which I might add I had to pay for ), and the last service was done in the end of July. We are now in November and voila , same problem. I have a 2014 Chevrolet Captiva and I’m seriously tired of this . This has ran up my bills like crazy and made me miss a ton of work . I need help with this situation. Now they say they can’t help me anymore (I did call Chevrolet and explain that a certified dealer was just asking for more money and not fixing the problem), and after I’ve spent all this money , no one can help?!

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> judyh,

I'm sorry you are experiencing this issue with your Equinox vehicle. This issue may be caused by a lack of lubrication of the ignition lock cylinder and case. This is just a suggestion, not a diagnosis.

I encourage you to have the vehicle inspected by a certified technician. They will be able to offer an official diagnosis and repair option(s).

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact me.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old June 10th, 2019, 2:02 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2005 Equinox won't turn off

my key gets stuck in the ignition and sometimes it takes me shifting through all gears for it to turn off so i can remove the key. I dont know what to do! i have a 2005 equinox with about 143000 miles. thank you. the vehicle is out of warranty. i would really like to hear from chevrolet on this!

Quick Reply: Key getting stuck in ignition?