Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta
Old July 29th, 2015, 2:26 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Wheels and Tires
Print Wikipost

Key getting stuck in ignition?

Search this Thread

Old June 18th, 2019, 11:10 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by JMC1981
my key gets stuck in the ignition and sometimes it takes me shifting through all gears for it to turn off so i can remove the key. I dont know what to do! i have a 2005 equinox with about 143000 miles. thank you. the vehicle is out of warranty. i would really like to hear from chevrolet on this!
Thank you for reaching out to us, JMC1981. Your safety and satisfaction are our top priority here at Chevrolet. To clarify, have you had the chance to bring these concerns to the attention of your dealership? If not, our team would be happy to reach out to them on your behalf. To do so, please visit https://www.chevrolet.com/contact/chat.

Aleigha W.
Old July 27th, 2019, 5:30 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mommymoo
I tried to do a search but couldn't find a thread about this so I apologize if it's been discussed a bunch already.

My key gets stuck in the ignition about 9/10 times when I turn the car off. It took me 5 minutes to get it out when I got to work this morning. I've tried wiggling the steering wheel, pressing/not pressing the brake, re-shifting out and back into park, pulling the shifter "trigger", etc. It has become unbearable! I found a different forum online where a lot of people had the same problem but no one had an answer. It did this right when we bought the car brand new and they replace the gear shift. It did fine until about a year ago. I'd love to find an answer other than "replace it again" so if anyone has a trick or an easy fix that my husband (who is very car-repair savvy) could do, I would greatly appreciate it!

Had the same problem on my car I in hooked the negitive wire from battery and that allowed the key to turn all the way back to get it out
Old April 16th, 2020, 5:58 PM
CF Beginner

Did you have any further issues?
Old July 20th, 2021, 9:07 PM
CF Beginner

I have a 2016 Colorado with 45k miles and having a crazy hard time getting the key out of the ignition. The problem started a few months ago with having to jiggle the steering wheel or move the gear shift back and forth to get the key turned far enough to remove it from the ignition. Not it rarely seems to matter what I do. Very infrequently it may come right out on the first try. More often it never comes out, I give up, and leave it in the ignition and lock the car with my spare key. The dealership service center wants a diagnostic fee, and parts and labor to replace whatever defective part they find at fault. I'm having a problem accepting this with such a common issue. I would greatly appreciate any help you could provide. Thanks in advance.
Old October 25th, 2021, 2:26 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by mommymoo
I tried to do a search but couldn't find a thread about this so I apologize if it's been discussed a bunch already.

My key gets stuck in the ignition about 9/10 times when I turn the car off. It took me 5 minutes to get it out when I got to work this morning. I've tried wiggling the steering wheel, pressing/not pressing the brake, re-shifting out and back into park, pulling the shifter "trigger", etc. It has become unbearable! I found a different forum online where a lot of people had the same problem but no one had an answer. It did this right when we bought the car brand new and they replace the gear shift. It did fine until about a year ago. I'd love to find an answer other than "replace it again" so if anyone has a trick or an easy fix that my husband (who is very car-repair savvy) could do, I would greatly appreciate it!
Ya my 2005 LT does it and so does my brothers 2007
Old December 9th, 2021, 5:58 PM
CF Beginner

Idk if this has been mentioned yet, but I read an article https://lemonlawexperts.com/a-shift-...o-park-defect/ that mentions that Chevy's fix is to install an in-line wire shifter jumper harness between the console harness connector and the shifter base connecter...might want to try this one out!
Old December 9th, 2021, 6:22 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by carluvr92
Idk if this has been mentioned yet, but I read an article https://lemonlawexperts.com/a-shift-...o-park-defect/ that mentions that Chevy's fix is to install an in-line wire shifter jumper harness between the console harness connector and the shifter base connecter...might want to try this one out!
This isn't applicable to the Equinox.
Old December 9th, 2021, 6:24 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by ruley73
This isn't applicable to the Equinox.
saw some other cars on here. thought it might be helpful for others. thanks
Old December 9th, 2021, 9:38 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by carluvr92
saw some other cars on here. thought it might be helpful for others. thanks
It doesn't apply to any of the vehicles mentioned in this thread.