Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

leaking fuel problems, smell and drips

Search this Thread

Old September 3rd, 2012, 12:08 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default leaking fuel problems, smell and drips

well, the problems might be complicating a bit. i had a steering assist go out for 2-3 months, and driving thru it fixed it self it came back on. But the fuel is now leaking, and the fuel guage every now and then shows the wrong fuel level.

So, yes teh fuel is leaking. At first, it seemed to just be a fuel smell. It got tiresome and i havent had time to look into it. Each time we would park the car, when we would get out, we would smell fuel. The initial suspicion that it was some kind of breather, or overflow. It became much more potent of a smell to the point that i suspected that it had to be leaking somewhere.

Then one day last week i watched my wife back out the driveway onto the street towards downhill. When she hit her brakes, and put it in gear and proceeded uphill, a load of leaked gas spilled off. It was alot of fresh gas in the street. I then noticed all the other spots on the blacktop that must be ours. There is 20 foot trails, about 7 of them, on our street, all leading out, and up from our driveway.

We are talking atleast a cup or two of gas it appears from the warmup stage must be pooling up somewhere at the top of the tank.

Has anybody had this problem, and where should i start? pull the tank obviously, but does anybody have any insight on this?

Last edited by wolfdogg; September 3rd, 2012 at 12:11 PM.
Old September 3rd, 2012, 1:33 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

I'd put it on a lift, and find where it is leaking.
Old September 3rd, 2012, 1:40 PM
CF Junior Member

im pretty sure that i would have to take the tank down, since it appears its dripping off the top of the tank once put in gear, or on a hill. so i would have to drop the tank wouldnt I? My gas tank is still half full, and i forgot to not fill it back up last time around.

Does any body have a good youtube link on this procedure, i havent been able to afford a manual. Any good links to the "REPAIR" manual purchase for the 2007 eq?

Can anybody provide any more feedback before i work on it?
Old September 3rd, 2012, 2:28 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by wolfdogg
im pretty sure that i would have to take the tank down, since it appears its dripping off the top of the tank once put in gear, or on a hill. so i would have to drop the tank wouldnt I? My gas tank is still half full, and i forgot to not fill it back up last time around.

Does any body have a good youtube link on this procedure, i havent been able to afford a manual. Any good links to the "REPAIR" manual purchase for the 2007 eq?

Can anybody provide any more feedback before i work on it?
Hopefully it is just the gasket leaking on the fuel pump. If you have a floor jack, use that to support the tank, unbolt the straps, drop the tank, then look for whats leaking. Good Luck! Woops unhook the fuel lines first/wireing
Old September 3rd, 2012, 2:55 PM
CF Junior Member

It's possible that it could be your fuel lines that are leaking. Fuel lines are fragile and rust easily.
Old September 4th, 2012, 10:42 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by mswerb
It's possible that it could be your fuel lines that are leaking. Fuel lines are fragile and rust easily.
If we assume the OP's vehicle has an early build date, the oldest it could be is six years old. I doubt the fuel lines are rusted through after only six years. The fuel lines are probably that stiff plastic anyways.

Wolfdogg, I've attached a guide for removing the fuel tank. This guide is for FWD models. For AWD models, the process is the same plus the propeller shaft must also be removed from the rear differential. The second PDF is just a document that contains enlarged images.

I've also attached instructions for removing/replacing both the Primary (passenger side) and Secondary (driver side) sending units/modules. The Secondary module must be removed first.

I'd bet the top seal for one of the modules is leaking.

2007_Equinox_FWD_Fuel_tank_replacement.pdf
2007_Equinox_FWD_Fuel_tank_replacement_enlarged_images.pdf
2007_Equinox_secondary-fuel-tank-module-replacement.pdf
2007_Equinox_primary-fuel-tank-module-replacement.pdf

Last edited by ruley73; September 4th, 2012 at 10:58 PM.
Old September 7th, 2012, 8:24 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Good morning wolfdogg

It looks like you've already gotten some great feedback from the members of the Chevrolet community on what you're looking to do. If you should, now or in the future, decide upon working with a dealership on any sort of vehicle concern we're available to assist. We can also check into recall and warranty information for you if you were to provide the last 8 digits of your VIN.

Sarah (Assisting Louis), Chevrolet Customer Service
Old September 16th, 2012, 12:07 PM
CF Junior Member

im having the most difficult time finding a tool to remove the fuel lines. i believe the big fule line clips i need to remove are 5/8th. I went to auto zone and was only able to rent the 3/8th and 1/2, it is the long tool
and i purchased a smaller type removal tool package and they wont work

even on the smaller fuel line. At first i tried various flatheads, i had 4 small ones wedged int here, and that didnt work. So im off to napa today, and possibly a few other places to find this tool. im wondering if the flat ring types are the ones i need

also, there is little room for the long handle type to squeeze into these lines since the lines are so close to the fuel tank. Im betting i need the smaller ring types in the last pic.
Old September 16th, 2012, 7:40 PM
CF Junior Member

ok, the tool that worked i had to get a 5/8 anodized aluminum from auto zone, pull out the snap ring, and split it apart, and wedge each one into each side, actually that was for the 2nd evap connector, the first evap connector i was able to just slip in the tool. and the actual fuel line connector i had to use a plastic ring, grey in color, also sold at auto zone in ta 5 pack of various sizes.

now i am pricing fuel pumps and rock auto is definetely the cheapest, but i expected auto zone to carry the part. at rock auto its $275 an ac delco M10090 i think its called, and at Auto zone they want 423.99 for an Airtek E3757M. Fuel Pumps > Mechanical > Electric > In-tank & line > Universal > Manual which would need to be shipped anyway because its not in stock at all around here.

The reason i need the whole assembly is because the fuel inlet line barbule was cracked (hariline) where the insert that it was connected to went into the top fo the tube on the assembly. Its wierd because two of the 3 connections at the top are actually form fitted connectors(i.ie part of the assembly) where as the fuel inlet one looks like its either pressed in there, or HOPEFULLY threaded.

So it broke off when i was inspecting it because it looks like fuel leaking through the crack has comprimised it. So now im staring at a hole with a cracked fitting in it. Im definetely going to get an easy out and see if i can spin it out, but beign plastic i doubt it will, unless its really threaded and is not too tight.

If it doesnt come out, im seriously considering drilling it, tapping it, and screwing a fitting in to it like a good little mechanic. Then i will hose clamp the nylon fuel line onto the fitting.

So im pressed for time, i
Old September 5th, 2013, 12:06 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

I just took our 2007 Equinox to the dealership to address this same issue. While our vehicle is not covered in the recall below, a few weeks ago we received a letter from GM saying our vehicle would receive special coverage if it exhibits this same problem. Sure enough it started smelling like gas and a small amount of fuel was dripping on the driveway. They replaced the entire fuel sending unit with a new one free of charge. The special coverage will also provide reimbursement for this repair if you've already paid to have it fixed.

Recall ID # 94154 - FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE; DELIVERY:FUEL PUMP

Recall Date:
SEP 19, 2012

Model Affected:
2007 Chevrolet Equinox

Summary:
General Motors (GM) is recalling certain model year 2007 Chevrolet Equinox and Pontiac Torrent vehicles originally sold or currently registered in Arizona, California, Nevada, and Texas; model year 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt, Pontiac G5, and Saturn ION vehicles originally sold, or currently registered in, Arizona, California, Florida, Nevada, or Texas; model year 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt and Pontiac G5 vehicles originally sold, or currently registered in, Arizona; and model year 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt and Pontiac G5 vehicles originally sold, or currently registered in, Arkansas, Arizona, California, Nevada, Oklahoma, or Texas. Some of these vehicles have a condition in which the plastic supply or return port on the fuel pump module may crack, which could cause a fuel leak.
Consequences:
Fuel leakage in the presence of an ignition source may result in a fire.
Remedy:
GM will notify owners, and dealers will replace the fuel pump module, free of charge. Notification to owners began on on November 21, 2012. Owners were instructed to not bring their vehicles in for repair until January 2013. Owners may contact General Motors at 1-800-521-7300.
Potential Units Affected:
Notes:
General Motors LLC

Read more: 2007 Chevrolet Equinox Recalls & Problems - Motor Trend Magazine

Last edited by ruley73; September 5th, 2013 at 12:08 PM.

Quick Reply: leaking fuel problems, smell and drips