Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

leaking fuel problems, smell and drips

Search this Thread

Old January 3rd, 2019, 6:02 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Everyone.
I am having a similar problem to the one described here in this thread on a 2007 Equinox LT2 AWD, last 8 of VIN 76235008.
I had the vehicle up on a lift, and I can clearly see the leak is coming from the top of the tank, right side of the tank.
The gasoline smell is getting progressively worse.
There seems to be some indication on this thread that even vehicles not covered under the "recall" were fixed by GM under the "extended warranty" stipulation, if the problem is related to the plastic fuel delivery lines on the primary pump.
**Update, checked with local Chevy Dealer, the VIN won't come up on any "recall" websites, but IS in the GM system for an extended warranty, and is covered, parts and labor for this particular issue. Scheduled to be looked at on Monday**

$450 for a fuel pump is no small chunk of change, so while I'm confident I could drop the tank and replace the fuel pump assembly myself, I'm wanting to explore all options before doing that and spending that kind of money, if there is any chance GM might help me out with this.

On another note, if I need to drop the tank myself, obviously the exhaust and rear driveshaft need to be disconnected, charcoal filter removed, etc, but I'm wondering from anyone on this forum about if the tank slides forward to clear the rear diff on AWD models, or if there is something more involved after making all the disconnects and removing the tank straps. If I need to do something with the rear diff itself, like disconnecting it, or dropping it, then it's definitely a dealer repair.
** Would still like feedback on this in case someone else on here has to drop the tank for another issue, or if the secondary pump would happen to go on mine!**

Thanks.

Matt Gehman

Last edited by mgehman1; January 3rd, 2019 at 6:55 AM.
Old September 30th, 2019, 8:56 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas smell coming from right passenger rear

I'm having the same problem as everyone else with my 2007 chevy equinox real bad gas smell coming from right rear passenger side read alot of bad reviews on this tried looking up my VIN on recall website but nothing has came up. I'm going to try to call tommorrow to see If there is anything they will do it's getting too bad to drive anymore I have 2 kids and I'm scared to have them in the car anymore. I have had the car for 4 years and it only has about 81000 miles on it.
Old October 2nd, 2019, 10:33 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a brief note on fuel line repair. The hose clamp on a press on nylon line( as pictured above) is not the correct way to repair that line. That fuel sender assembly comes with the lines attached for a reason. They want you to replace the assembly complete with new lines. If the OE part cost seems too high, search out a Delphi replacement from NAPA or most other aftermarket parts dealers. The Delphi is a good replacement part, while I do prefer the AC Delco original. The above pictured repair is now a potentially dangerous failure waiting to happen.
Old October 3rd, 2019, 12:55 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobby Barnes
I'm having the same problem as everyone else with my 2007 chevy equinox real bad gas smell coming from right rear passenger side read alot of bad reviews on this tried looking up my VIN on recall website but nothing has came up. I'm going to try to call tommorrow to see If there is anything they will do it's getting too bad to drive anymore I have 2 kids and I'm scared to have them in the car anymore. I have had the car for 4 years and it only has about 81000 miles on it.
There is a recall for this issue with the 2007 Equinox/Torrent vehicles originally sold or currently registered in Arizona, California, Nevada, and Texas. However, any 2007 Equinox/Torrent not covered by that recall is covered by Special Coverage #12191 (link here) regardless of vehicle age or mileage. Do NOT replace anything yourself. Take your Equinox to a dealership to have the repair performed. All parts and labor costs are paid for by GM.