Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

LED Headlight Change

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2018, 2:26 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LED Headlight Change

Has anyone done a LED Headlight switch on an 05-09 Equinox? Stock headlights are super dim and was looking to upgrade to something better. If so, what brand bulbs did you go with?

Last edited by espy2388; May 5th, 2018 at 2:28 PM.
Old May 5th, 2018, 5:23 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by espy2388
Has anyone done a LED Headlight switch on an 05-09 Equinox? Stock headlights are super dim and was looking to upgrade to something better. If so, what brand bulbs did you go with?
If your headlights are "super dim", the bulbs aren't the problem. They aren't dim at all if they are clean and aligned properly IMO. LED bulbs won't change anything except maybe the color of the light.
Old May 5th, 2018, 6:47 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by ruley73
If your headlights are "super dim", the bulbs aren't the problem. They aren't dim at all if they are clean and aligned properly IMO. LED bulbs won't change anything except maybe the color of the light.
I think the issue is actual lumen output of the existing halogen bulbs. I am trying to see if it is worthwhile to upgrade to LED over a better halogen bulb.
Old May 5th, 2018, 8:45 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by espy2388
I think the issue is actual lumen output of the existing halogen bulbs. I am trying to see if it is worthwhile to upgrade to LED over a better halogen bulb.
Do a Google search. There are plenty of resources available regarding this matter. You'll find that LED bulbs are much brighter, but we already get flashed all the time with just the low beams on. This tells me that they are already irritating for oncoming drivers. Brighter LED bulbs would certainly just worsen the problem, and this is the only reason I haven't installed them in our Equinox.

​​​​​​I also want to emphasize that if your headlamp assemblies are cloudy/worn/yellow you should address that first. Cloudy lenses drastically decrease light output even if they don't seem that bad. No bulb will fix that problem and they will all seem dim if the light can't get through the cloudy lens.
Old December 13th, 2018, 9:08 AM
CF Beginner

I upgraded my headlights to LED. Best decision I have ever made! Well worth it.
Old December 14th, 2018, 11:22 AM
CF Active Member

I have an 07 Equinox and I polished the lenses with a 3M restoration kit ($15.00) and installed Sylvania Silstar bulbs ($45.00 at Walmart) made a big difference and cheaper than LED's.
Old December 20th, 2018, 12:12 PM
CF Beginner

I have tried to find LED lamps that work properly, as replacements. Most of them do not have any real difference between the low and hi beams and are very bad in fog and snow, when the reflection back to the driver was so bright I could not see. They did not seem to focus and scattered the light.
What type and brand of lamps did you use that you are happy with, please. I just replaced the headlamps on my Equinox, that made a big difference even without LED bulbs but living out in the boonies like I do I'll take any light help I can get!
Old January 4th, 2019, 10:52 AM
CF Beginner

I just went ahead and switched out to new Halogens after one of the bulbs finally went out. Went with the Phillips Xtreme Vision as the Silverstar Ultras did not even last a full 12 months in my other vehicle before dimming.