Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

Loud knocking sounds come from top of motoor all is tight

Search this Thread

Old November 25th, 2017, 12:35 PM
Newly Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loud knocking sounds come from top of motoor all is tight

Ok so all of a sudden i have a loud loud tapping knocking noise seems to come from topend of the motor took walve cover off all is tight nothing looks bad its a side mount motor coming from side by fire wall took intake off not to dirty inside was a light noise then one day wow but when i shut the motor off u can hear it continue to knock as a part slows down to a stop never heard this before in a vehical normally when u shut off the motor the noise gone but this stays for a few seconds thought was a valve lifter priblem but all is tight sounds really bad hope someone can help and the part were it still knocks after motor is off its a knock for sure thanks
Old November 26th, 2017, 9:54 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon99
Ok so all of a sudden i have a loud loud tapping knocking noise seems to come from topend of the motor took walve cover off all is tight nothing looks bad its a side mount motor coming from side by fire wall took intake off not to dirty inside was a light noise then one day wow but when i shut the motor off u can hear it continue to knock as a part slows down to a stop never heard this before in a vehical normally when u shut off the motor the noise gone but this stays for a few seconds thought was a valve lifter priblem but all is tight sounds really bad hope someone can help and the part were it still knocks after motor is off its a knock for sure thanks
What year is your Equinox, and which engine does it have?
Old November 26th, 2017, 11:09 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

post a video
Old December 4th, 2017, 8:23 PM
CF Beginner

Default Same problem

In the last week the same sound has happened to my 2010 Equinox. The heat is also not working that well so I think the two issues might be connected. Could it be the heat blender? Although I don’t really know what that is, from reading other forums it seems to be a problem part on older Equinoxes. The knocking sounds like it is coming from behind the glove box and it does it even when the car is shut off. The other day it did it when the cat was cold and parked in the garage. It just started doing it and then it would stop. Any ideas of the cause and fix would be really appreciated. Thanks
Old December 4th, 2017, 8:25 PM
CF Beginner

Default Forgot to mention

My 2010 Equinox has the 4cylinder 2.4litre engine. I keep it in good shape with regular tuneups.