Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

Loud noise when driving through heavy rain or wet snow

Search this Thread

Old July 29th, 2013, 2:25 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loud noise when driving through heavy rain or wet snow

I hear a loud noise (sounds like a straight pipe on the exhaust) when driving through heavy rain or wet snow. Also the car won't accelerate when this is happening... The first time it happened, I was stuck in a snow bank. I thought there was hole in the exhaust so I took it to the dealer and they couldn't find anything wrong with it.

Does anyone know what could be causing this?
Old August 5th, 2013, 3:21 PM
CF Beginner

I get this once in a while (maybe 6 times in 2 years) on my '05. It really does sound like an exhaust noise or misfire so I wondered about moisture getting in somewhere. If I let up off the gas for a few seconds it usually stops. At one point I also thought it might have been related to the AWD due to when it occurs (really heavy rain for sure, may have happened in snow/slush as well), but I have no idea how I could test any theories.
Old August 9th, 2013, 9:28 PM
CF Beginner

I have experienced a similar noise on my 05 Nox as well especially when driving through heavy rain. Not always, though. I also have AWD.
Old September 11th, 2013, 8:05 AM
CF Beginner

I have a new theory about this after driving in some heavy rain yesterday and having had the chance to check it out.

For a while one summer I heard a similar noise off and on when it was dry - not nearly as loud and it was always around 35 mph so I didn't think it was related. At that time, replacing my air filter made it stop completely.

But because of the similarity of the sounds I wondered if maybe water sometimes gets splashed up into the air intake (if you go through big enough puddles just right for example). Not sure if it just would clog the filter a little or if water would get past the filter. Well, after I got home yesterday and the rain subsided a bit, I opened the hood. I didn't open the airbox, but I could see water had definitely collected in the tube at the bottom where the air comes in. So I think that could be a possibility for this.
Old September 23rd, 2017, 10:45 AM
CF Beginner

Default Same Problem

Hello All - I am experiencing the same issue as described above. Has anyone figured this out. I have awd and it only happens in heavy rain or slushy snow.