Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

Major oil leak.... please help!

Old February 8th, 2019, 10:03 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Major oil leak.... please help!

2 days ago my 2015 equinox was making a rattling noise. I checked the oil immediately and there was literally no oil on the dipstick. It has been about 2,000 miles since last oil change, which was done at a quick lube place. The check engine light was not on, oil pressure light not on. Not over heating. Filled up the oil, started it and let it run for a few minutes, the rattle was gone and all seemed ok. Drove the car yesterday a few times, total of probably 50 miles, no funny noises. This morning it was cold, -3, so I started the car and let it warm up for about 5 minutes. Drove my daughter to school, about 15 miles. When I was backing out of the school parking spot, rattle noise starts up again. I put it drive and lightly accelerate, rattle gets much louder. I limped it 2 blocks to the gas station and turned it off. There's a trail of oil splatter all the way up the street and the car is dumping oil on the ground. I put another quart in and start it again. When I start it, it starts pouring oil out again. Still no low oil pressure light or check engine light. Nothing is "smoking" although it does smell a bit like burnt oil. My parking spot at home shows no obvious sign of an oil leak. The oil puddle underneath it now seems to be closer to the drivers side and closer to the back of the engine. Looking under the hood doesn't show any oil splatter, just the bottom side.

anyone have any ideas? The fact that my low oil pressure light has not come on is what really confuses me! I'll be getting it towed this afternoon to a place where I can start looking for the source of the leak. No loud bangs or anything. Even when I started it back up after putting another quart in, it didn't sound too bad, just a light rattle.

*I'm not a mechanic. I've got a basic knowledge and I can manage my way through most repairs with the help of Google and YouTube. Please keep that in mind when answering. Thank you
Old February 8th, 2019, 11:02 AM
CF Veteran

Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

Have the drain plug & oil filter checked - bet one is lose or a bad gasket. Would be unusual to go from no leak to this much so quickly - and it coincides with an oil change not too long ago - AND don't drive it till you figure it out or you will end up with an expensive repair bill!
Old February 8th, 2019, 11:07 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes I shut it down quick and got a ride home from a relative. We'll tow it to the farm this afternoon where I can start looking at it. Oil filter and plug were first on my list to check. Just looking for any other common causes to look at in case it isn't filter or plug.
I've got my fingers and toes crossed that it's filter or plug because I can afford that and do it myself. Single mom here, and can't afford an expensive fix! Thanks for the reply.
Old February 8th, 2019, 12:23 PM
CF Active Member

Location: Currently the Candian Gander is wintering over in New York.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe the people who changed the oil broke the sensor if they hit it with the wrench while taking off the filter. Seems an odd coincidence that it took so long to show up, though. maybe they glued sealant over the thing to hide the damage.

Search this Thread