Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

make both old and new keyless entries work

Search this Thread

Old March 10th, 2016, 3:23 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default make both old and new keyless entries work

hi new here. 2008 equinox, bought new keyless entry unlocker, with new blank key. the key works, but i can only seem to program one keyless entry. either my old one works, or the new one, but not both (after they've been programmed).

is there a way to make both plastic keyless entries work? thanks, cogs
Old March 11th, 2016, 12:05 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

how are you programming the fobs?

the vehicle will only accept 4 fob programming slots. So how many previous fobs are registered to the car? You may have to erase the previously programmed fobs.
Old March 11th, 2016, 11:44 AM
CF Beginner

i'm programming them correctly, because one will work, then i'll program the next one, and that will work. but only one will work at a time.

doesn't it erase the slots whenever i start the programming? is there a limit that i am unable to erase? what can i do to erase this limit, if it isn't already being deleted when i start programming?

i don't know how many fobs have been registered to the car, but ours looks pretty old (2008).

Last edited by cogs; March 11th, 2016 at 11:57 AM.
Old March 11th, 2016, 1:40 PM
Super Moderator

you can add a fob to an existing slot or you can erase all previously programmed fobs and program into the empty 4 slots.

I can't offer any advice as I have no idea how your programming the fobs. oem or aftermarket fobs?
Old March 11th, 2016, 6:47 PM
CF Beginner

lol i think we're talking about different things? when you say program, i think you mean to do the procedure of pressing the dic button until it says learning started (or something like that), then i press the lock/unlock buttons on the remote until i hear a chime. lol, if that isn't what you mean by programming, then maybe there's something they did to the key and remote before i bought them from ebay? if so, then they're already programmed, i just had to make the car learn the new key/remote.
Old March 11th, 2016, 9:37 PM
Super Moderator

fobs don't come programmed to the car. You must program/register the fob into your cars rcdlr or it will not work. dealers use a scan tool. some aftermarket fobs come with a procedure....the procedure you are doing is what?
Old March 11th, 2016, 11:59 PM
CF Beginner

i tried just leaving active on, and did both remotes, and they both started working (what i was doing before was turning the key off after i programmed only one remote, which unlearned the other one, lol). now, though, the yellow passkey light keeps flashing on the dash. it wasn't flashing before, whenever i locked my car. i'm going to look online to see if it's supposed to do that. . btw, both keys start the car, and both remotes unlock it.

edit: if i lock the door with the key, the light won't turn on, so i'm doing that tonight so my battery doesn't drain (i have no idea if the flashing light will drain the battery or not).

Last edited by cogs; March 12th, 2016 at 2:08 AM.