Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

No codes. Engine cranks. No start

Old March 13th, 2018, 7:05 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No codes. Engine cranks. No start

2010 Equinox 2.4 Ecotec. 110,000 miles. Was running rough. Had cam sensor code, using cheap scanner. Replaced cam sensor. Cleared codes. Started up OK. Still ran rough. Had knock sensor code. Battery was getting low. Charged overnight. Now, will not start. Have borrowed a Snap-on Solus scanner. No new codes. RPM reads 180-195 when cranking (assuming crank sensor is OK). Fuel pressure is 65 PSI. Oil switch changes state (from low to OK) when cranking. TPS sweep test says sensors agree TPS 1&2 voltages seem to be inversely proportional. MAP sensor seems to be reading OK. Not familiar with this little gas engine. I'm a Master Tech for John Deere. Have tools, just a little fuzzy on theory of operation. Any help would be appreciated.
Old March 13th, 2018, 8:38 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Even though you are reading 65 psig on fuel pressure, dosen't mean you have adequate flow. Right now, I'd suggest replace the fuel filter, and go from there. Also, is the fuel "decent"?, haven't gotten it from a mom and pop C store?
Old March 13th, 2018, 9:54 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the response. Pretty sure that I have sufficient flow, based on the amount of fuel that came out of the schrader valve when I had the little woman bump the starter. It sure smelled like good gas.
I had considered bad gas. Kind of skeptical, there. Topped off the tank with 7.3 gallons (tank should be about 20 gallons), then drove 88 miles before having a problem. Scanner indicates 65% full tank. If the injectors were firing, I think I would be getting a fuel smell or would have hydrauliced the motor by now. Lol. I need to bring home a node light and spark tester to see what's going on. My PowerProbe IV should be able to test that injector signal. I assume that the injectors use a PWM signal? Is fuel pressure at the injectors stupid high, like on a diesel? Our large engines are around 50,000 psi.
Old March 14th, 2018, 3:38 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Yep. You use an el cheapo Harbour Freight pulse checker, looks like an ice pick with a ground lead.

Search this Thread